Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A good focal reducer for an edge SCt

A few nights ago I had my c11 edge out using eyepieces and my camera. I took some photos of the Orion nebula using an f/6.3 focal reducer. The stars at the center were perfectly round but off to the sides they were elongated. Compared to my Meade 8" f/6.3 SCT the distortion was much less. The elongation was small by comparison but It seems that the f/6.3 focal reducer may not be the best accessory for photography in an edge SCT. Are there focal reducer out there that work better with these newer scopes?

Nebula,

Thank you for the tip. You are certainly right about that focal reducer not being cheap. It will be yet another item for which I need to save my money. Taking good photos of the sky is not necessarily inexpensive is it? I might have to live with some less than perfect images for a while until my rich uncle leaves me his fortune :grin:

Archived