Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moving Goto

trogre

Hi All. Read earlier a post about where someone wanted to know if they moved their goto to another position would it still work. Trouble is I just cannot find the post again, no doubt staring me in the face.

It seems from what I read that even a small movement in position will mean setting realignment up again. I expect once you done it a few times it becomes easier & quicker. It must be a pain if you are in your garden and have to move goto telescope a few times to miss trees building etc. 

My question is would you have to do this with a Equatorial Mount or is this a different kettle of fish altogether? As of yet not got a telescope let alone a mount but looking at videos and reading as much as I can. Like all things with the web you can get too much info. I think I am driving my wife nuts :smiley:

One day I am going to buy this telescope and the next day it is another. I think she has like most women has, the ability to appear to listen what you are saying but in reality not listening at all. Caught her out a couple of times by asking her "what does she think" .She will just say Yes or NO whereas the answer should of been "that is too much or too little to spend on a telescope" :rolleyes:

When you set up any mount then if you physically move the mount then you have to realign it.

Easy to explain in the "extreme" sense;

Alt/Az goto, do the alignment and then tell scope to goto Polaris. Pick up the mount and face it due south - scope thinks it is pointed at Polaris and so all movement is made on this. So if you ask it to goto Jupiter it moves to the right but if you are looking Siuth Jupiter is to the Left..

If you move an equitorial mount then the mount is no longer pointing at the rotaional axis of the earth so it no longer rotates around the right point. If you point that Sout it is rotating the wrong way.

Once aligned the mount HAS to remain unmoved.

If you could move it and it remained aligned then there is no need to align it initially when you think about it. Moving it "on the night" is exactly the same as moving it with a night or ten indoors.

If you have to move a scope during the night because of trees or buildings, I would go with an Alt Az.  Probably a Dob and if you wanted a goto you can get GoTo Dobs. Moving most EQs is a bit of a palaver, especially if you have a big EQ with a heavy scope, you have to dismantle and set up again every time you move it. And then go through Polar alignment and star alignment, it would drive you up the wall.

Archived