NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tele Vue eyepieces vs stock stuff

Astro Tech Paradigms tend to be found in the USA rather than in Europe where the eyepiece is marketed under other brand names. Here is a review of the Astro Tech Paradigm's:

http://www.cloudynights.com/page/articles/cat/cn-reports/eyepiece-reports/first-look-astro-tech-paradigm-eyepieces-r1845

When you see the BST Explorer / Starguider eyepiece mentioned on here (which it is a lot !) they are also the same eyepiece as far as I know.

I bought my first Tele Vue plossls back in the late 1980's for £50 each and they were on special offer down from £69.99 I seem to recall. The same focal lengths cost btween £70 and £80 today so they have risen a bit in price over the intervening 25+ years, but not as much as many things !

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Astro-Tech Paradigms over here are the BST Starguiders (originally BST Explorers).

There are enough posts saying how good they are.

However consider them seperate/different to the TV plossl's.

Could do as I did - get the TV plossl set and the BST Explorer set. :grin: :grin:

I had the TV's and wanted a good set for public events, so bought a couple of BST's, found out how good they were and got the set, and the public does not really get near them. I picked up 3 BST's used and they are the half set at public events. Works well.

The TV's are excellent, equally so are the BST's - but still different. I will not be reducing my collection of eyepieces by selling either.

Go with the TV's you will not be disappointed, perhaps if eye relief is a concern (I wear glasses) try an A-T at 8mm later.

What is the intended scope?

The Astro-Tech Paradigms over here are the BST Starguiders (originally BST Explorers).

There are enough posts saying how good they are.

However consider them seperate/different to the TV plossl's.

Could do as I did - get the TV plossl set and the BST Explorer set. :grin: :grin:

I had the TV's and wanted a good set for public events, so bought a couple of BST's, found out how good they were and got the set, and the public does not really get near them. I picked up 3 BST's used and they are the half set at public events. Works well.

The TV's are excellent, equally so are the BST's - but still different. I will not be reducing my collection of eyepieces by selling either.

Go with the TV's you will not be disappointed, perhaps if eye relief is a concern (I wear glasses) try an A-T at 8mm later.

What is the intended scope?

Intended scope is the Nexstar 8se.

Commander Riker

Good decision on the 11 & 32 TVP's. From my (limited) experience of properly comparing eyepieces (such as John has) I really don't think you'll be disappointed...and if by any chance you find they don't suit after a few sessions, their resale value will hold up. I'll bet they stay with you tho! :)

Regards from Ten Forward (cocktails with the good doctor...very nice)

JL

:D

I bought my first Tele Vue plossls back in the late 1980's for £50 each and they were on special offer down from £69.99 I seem to recall. The same focal lengths cost btween £70 and £80 today so they have risen a bit in price over the intervening 25+ years, but not as much as many things !

And if you buy them second hand they still cost only £50- 60 quid! People almost always look after them (most astro/photo stuff really) so they are generally in excellent condition at least the ones I've been buying recently are :smiley:

Archived