Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Basic kit for Meade etx 125.

Hi all , I have just purchased a second hand ETX 125 f15 it came with a 26mm,15mm and 3X eyepieces.I have no experience with telescopes and hope that someone can give me a few pointers as to what additional eyepieces I need for best results without breaking the bank? Also I intend doing some Astrophotography and having watched a guy on you tube break the mounting off the back of this scope concerns me!! So my question is do I need a camera support framework ? Is this a standard accessory readily available? I have a Canon 7d which I pretty heavy. Thanks in advance for any help.

You will find a 32mm plossl useful, the field of view tends to be narrow, also a bubble level to set the thing up with.

No idea where you are, UK is little information, but if you were going to Astrofest you could likely pick up a bubble level there.

Get your exact Lat and Long and use those as a custom site.

Sticking a DSLR on them is not a good idea, they were not built for it and you cannot adjust the balance. Suggest a webcam for planets. If you want to go DSO imaging then the mount is wrong, the scope is wrong - that doesn't leave much. I suggest you look to an imaging rig of EQ mount and a short fast scope. But not a DSLR on the ETX.

Set up is in a way critical. I say in a way as the field of view is narrow and for the first aloignment star it slews to is likely to be out of view if it is not Level and North accurately. Hence the 32mm plossl and the bubble level - I use a 40mm plossl it is a teeny bit wider.

Also if power is available consider a 12volt dc supply from Maplins, centre positive. They do a couple that are OK I use the L06BR item for home  and the L17AR for the car, the white tip fits the ETX.

Edited by ronin
  • Like 1

I started of with it's smaller brother the ETX 105... the optics are quite nice  and will give really nice lunar and planetary views ,  but  the  the long FL and slow focal ratio  coupled with a mount that doesn't like much weight being hung of the back of it makes them less than ideal for DSLR imaging...

Ronin's post saved me a lot of typing...   What tripod have you got for it... IIRC the #884 Deluxe allows you the scope to be used in both Alt/Az and EQ modes ...

By far and away the best concentrated  "reource" site for  the ETX scopes is Mike Weasner's Mighty ETX Site   http://www.weasner.com/etx/menu.html  just take any advice by a enthusiastic Welshman with a pinch of salt  -  Twas I  ....

Peter...

Thanks to you both,good job I have a fair amount of time available as the learning curve is pretty steep!! Separating me from my camera is not an option what scope would you recommend for a heavy dslr with a price bracket around 500/700?

Hi 'DSLR Nut' and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

1. was this the youtube video...

2. is your ETX125 complete, (ie has the fork drive assembly). My ETX105 did not include the fork drive. It was fun removing the back and attaching a dovetail bar to it, and then reassembly. Bearing in mind the back is plastic. It my flex under the weight/load of your camera. If like mine before I 'modded' it following a crash meeting with gravity, the back is secured by 3x 6/32 machine screws and no washers or other reinforcement.

3a. try this site... http://www.telescopeadapters.com/ (if you are in the US, "yes!" they do ship worldwide but check before ordering), or this one... http://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/Meade__64_T_Adaptor_For_ETX90_125.html if you are in GB/UK and of course you will need the correct T-ring for your camera.

3b. a google search gave me this... https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=meade+%2364+adaptor&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=O6nUVKDxF5DlaJntgoAP&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1280&bih=863

4. take a look at Weasner's Mighty ETX Site... http://www.weasner.com/etx/menu.html an excellent on-line resource for all things ETX

5. balancing the OTA with a camera too may be an issue unless you want to pemantly remove it from the fork drive and attach a dovetail bar. (I would not recommend the pre-drilled mounting points that are on the underside). You would be better off attaching the OTA to dovetail bar and a set of tube rings, or as I have done attached a dovetail bar directly to the OTA using 2x Jubilee rings/clips.

(PM me if you would like to see a photo).

6. a 32mm Plossl should give nice views for affocal-photography.

I thinks that is about it.

Clear skies.

• Like 1

if its photo's you are after leave the etx as a visual scope and get yoursef a good mount  ideally you want the heq5. this is the cheapest new version http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-syntrek.html if you add an eqdirect  adaptor

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html

download eqmod (freeware) and a laptop and you have a goto mount that is about the best entry level imaging mount you can get. add your camera some nice long lenses and you are away. then when you have saved a bit more get a 130pds and coma corrector or better still ed 80 and field flattener reducer to stick your camera on. then you can save a bit more for guide camera and bits  after that its just more expense.

Seriously though if astrophotograpy is what you want  the mount is the all important bit and the heq5 is the best entry level imaging mount. You can do it on a cheaper mount eg the eq5 but it does not produce results as reliably, the last thing you need is to waste a rare clear night for imaging only to find that half of your subs are useless. Also recommended is this book

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books.html

Hi thanks for all the useful info and links which should keep me up all night!!  The ETX125 has the fork drive twin motors tilting platform etc. Not sure that was the same video the one i saw had a gaping hole at the back of scope where mounting used to be!! oops.  Not totally sure about the dovetail bar so further info would be appreciated. Bit dissapointed with the lightweight mounting as manual clearly shows a sizeable dslr attached as a standard feature. Problem here is how far in monetry terms to commit to this new hobby to obtain sufficient results so that a clear understanding of what might be reasonably expected in the future. The heq5 sounds the business end of mounts ,trouble is i am trying to get an insight into this incredible hobby without committing vast sums of money which would be a waste if the results do not match my exectations. So i will take your advice and experiment with the scope on a visual basis first before getting to involved with photo side of things. Thanks again.

• 5 years later...

Hi DSLR Nut - I’ve just purchased an ETX-125ec and want to use it with a DSLR. I’m just looking at making a support bar for the camera and wondered how you got on with your setup and any hints and tips you may have. 

27 minutes ago, Etc-125ec said:

Hi DSLR Nut - I’ve just purchased an ETX-125ec and want to use it with a DSLR. I’m just looking at making a support bar for the camera and wondered how you got on with your setup and any hints and tips you may have. 

Hello and welcome to SGL. The OP, DSLR Nut, hasn't logged on since Feb 2015, you might not get a reply.

Hi @Etc-125ec and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

If you swap/change the plastic rear cell assembly, which houses the flip mirror and balance weight; you may wish to consider: http://wegatoptical.com/ - it was seeing the site that inspired me to get it done. They are not cheap. They do not do make or keep stock of them for the ETX105. I did email them. They said it would cost more for a "one-off" unless more positive feedback/interest was shown. I did not want to my ETX end up as a landfill statistic.

WARNING! this is picture heavy... I have a 'de-forked' ETX105 and had a few 'mods' done to it; notably the rear cell assembly, (images below), following an accident with it a few years back, now enables me to use SCT accessories, (and DSLR, with appropriate hardware and T-ring). The last image is with a SCT 2" star diagonal. 

PIC010.JPG.0427f5c9c080cd309eec4c8a1deff884.JPG

The rear port is the same thread and diameter that is found on the original plastic housing.

PIC011.JPG.d44aaf7659477cb4cf6a80da07ee9215.JPGPIC012.JPG.3b3b2b4aaf9826a35f9fd23345ee7b76.JPG5937ff78093fb_myre-moddedETX-105.JPG.dfdaf86b8c0f855f1cc61d38580ce85e.JPG

PIC021.JPG.317e3ab5bc2a32848d576782c9caf3ab.JPG

These parts enable me to use SCT and 1.25" accessories too!

2958500A_gross_Baader_Planetarium.jpg.0d68f15cc84ed56ca0a278dec027f14e.jpg5937ff536f46d_1_25inchvisualback.jpg.ce03ded75107bdcbd997b7af33d43877.jpg

Edited by Philip R

I forgot to add these...

517405460_type1.jpg.6081a9d066256d23c85f03f0907fd47f.jpg    548055074_series4000uwa.jpg.dfcf28115e9eb29ce73faa4351897806.jpg    skywatcher_28mm.jpg.dff31e7528e397a7d80eb6dd0a22f727.jpg

...as per my signature. The TeleVue (82deg AFOV) and Meade (84deg AFOV) can be used in 1.25" & 2" focussers and star diagonals... (they are heavy... so balancing is important)! - the Sky-Watcher (56deg AFOV) is 2" only, (reducers to 1.25" are available)... and less weight.

Edited by Philip R

Wow White Dwarf - thanks for sharing your modifications - that's a fabulous upgrade - it looks like a serious bit of kit - I'm thinking I may end up having to change the supplied autostar tracking mount if the DSLR is too heavy for it plus the supplied Autostar handbox feels a bit temperamental (after switching it on, I get a warning indication in the top display row and lots of random text running along the bottom row of the display. After holding the mode button down for a couple a seconds it seems to correct itself and go into Getting Started mode. If I use the Autostar software app, none of the display text is displayed in the simulated handbox dialog. Having said all that, the arrow buttons control the mount OK and the auto tracking works.)

As I've only just picked up the scope I'm hoping to engineer it to track with the DSLR attached by counter balancing it with a C-cross section bar bolted underneath the tube - providing support for the DSLR (it weights about 900 grams with the T-adaptor connected) and counter balancing it - no idea how successful this will be -b picking up the metal bar tomorrow from toolstation! 

The scope came with a 26mm plossi and 9.7mm plossi.

The focussing knob doesn't feel that precise, especially when trying to focus the DSLR in live view with 10x magnification - I've managed to pick up a motorised focussing controller which is on its way from telescope house so I'm hoping that will improve the focussing.

I've been told the 5 inch tube doesn't provide sufficient depth of field for deep space - I'm wondering if more could be squeezed out of it by using a focal reducer ...

11 hours ago, Etc-125ec said:

Wow White Dwarf - thanks for sharing your modifications - that's a fabulous upgrade - it looks like a serious bit of kit - I'm thinking I may end up having to change the supplied autostar tracking mount if the DSLR is too heavy for it plus the supplied Autostar handbox feels a bit temperamental (after switching it on, I get a warning indication in the top display row and lots of random text running along the bottom row of the display. After holding the mode button down for a couple a seconds it seems to correct itself and go into Getting Started mode. If I use the Autostar software app, none of the display text is displayed in the simulated handbox dialog. Having said all that, the arrow buttons control the mount OK and the auto tracking works.)

As I've only just picked up the scope I'm hoping to engineer it to track with the DSLR attached by counter balancing it with a C-cross section bar bolted underneath the tube - providing support for the DSLR (it weights about 900 grams with the T-adaptor connected) and counter balancing it - no idea how successful this will be -b picking up the metal bar tomorrow from toolstation! 

The scope came with a 26mm plossi and 9.7mm plossi.

The focussing knob doesn't feel that precise, especially when trying to focus the DSLR in live view with 10x magnification - I've managed to pick up a motorised focussing controller which is on its way from telescope house so I'm hoping that will improve the focussing.

I've been told the 5 inch tube doesn't provide sufficient depth of field for deep space - I'm wondering if more could be squeezed out of it by using a focal reducer ...

Another 'photo heavy' post...

Ha Ha 🤣... White Dwarf... that's my status ranking. Yours is currently Vacuum😜 - it will change as you increase your postings and replies.

Yes! the plastic housing has been to known flex a little bit when you add a DSLR, or other heavy accessory to it, or the threaded ring has been known to become detached. 😳

Also a focal reducer should work, but first you will need this part (as shown in my earlier reply)... 2958500A_gross_Baader_Planetarium.jpg.0d68f15cc84ed56ca0a278dec027f14e.jpgPIC011.JPG.d44aaf7659477cb4cf6a80da07ee9215.JPG ...if you attach the Celestron or Meade f/6.3 FF/FR.* PIC022.JPG.ad2dde5173f39613817eb9f4f768708c.JPGPIC025.JPG.cefae6dd0a831f1a44b582b1544d904c.JPG

Meade released a f/3.3 version. From what I gather; it does have or cause issues. So I would forget about that one and stick with an f/6.3 one.

* other brands are also available. 

Edited by Philip R

Haha thanks Philip. Some of these reducers range from £30-£300 - to avoid buying something that’s either no good or way too good for the scope do you have a recommendation for a good enough one ?

The other thing I’m now thinking is if the reducer allows being able to view galaxies to some extent (Even if on long exposure photos) then getting a ccd camera eyepiece would avoid the weight of the DSLR and avoid the need for a modified camera - do you know if these ccds are any good and if so can you recommend any that won’t break the bank ...

In the meantime I’ll make some enquiries Into that metal backplate !

F1BD04C2-7962-4767-9722-5A7C48CF6483.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Etc-125ec said:

Haha thanks Philip. Some of these reducers range from £30-£300 - to avoid buying something that’s either no good or way too good for the scope do you have a recommendation for a good enough one ?

The other thing I’m now thinking is if the reducer allows being able to view galaxies to some extent (Even if on long exposure photos) then getting a ccd camera eyepiece would avoid the weight of the DSLR and avoid the need for a modified camera - do you know if these ccds are any good and if so can you recommend any that won’t break the bank ...

In the meantime I’ll make some enquiries Into that metal backplate !

F1BD04C2-7962-4767-9722-5A7C48CF6483.jpeg

The Celestron f/6.3 FF/FR is slightly better than the Meade one. 

When this COVID-19 'lockdown' has been given the all clear; maybe we could meet up, if that is OK with you and then you can 'eyeball' my ETX.

I am somewhere in between Reading & Wokingham, Berkshire.