New scope purchase... Orion 8" Newt on a Dobson mount

Hi. Thanks for all the help you all have given me. I read a bit about Newtonian scopes, and seen youtube videos on a few I liked, I decided to purchase an Orion Skyline 8" Dobson. This model has the Crayford type focuser, laser collimater, 2" and 1.25" eye pieces, and right at my budget range. Cost was $449.99 USDollars (I recently discovered this site is out of England, it seems.

My next purchase will be a few more eye pieces, a dew zapper kit (heat bands), and whatever else is suggested (I'm still learning and certainly don't know what else ought to be bought).

Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

If the laser that comes with is the Orion LaserMate Deluxe II, you will be fine. These are very well made and accurate. You might wish to also consider a Cheshire Eyepiece/Sighting-Tube. As collimation is a word that scares many new owners of Newtonians, this is mostly the fault of poorly written instructions. But one of the very best - if not THE best - is written by a member here - Astro-Baby. Here's a link to it. Download it for your reference:

http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm

An 8" Newt is a very good scope. They are capable of capturing just about everything people are fond of - including a wealth of DSO's - Deep Space Objects. A very good choice you made!

Clear Skies,

Dave

Daiwelly... Thank you. Itd funny, normally we frown on clear skies due to the extra cold that comes with it. Winter up here is often below zero.

Now, clear skys will be looked upon a bit differently.

Dave... Thanks for the recommendation. I will add it to my list. Thanks for the link.

SscRiker... I will make a report once I get the scope.

Dave in Vermont... Yes, this does come with the LaserMate Deluxe II.

Regarding collimating... What causes the problem to begin with? What can be done to reduce it? How often does this happen? I'm not afraid of it. I can learn how to do it. I just don't know about it.

This scope also comes with a cooling fan. Does this help with what others call "cool down" or does the scope get hot? (I don't see how but got to ask)

"Cool down" is done before viewing. To make the scope about the same temp as outside, I think. Is this done to eliminate dew issues? Thank you.

Collimation is the aligning of the secondary-mirror with the primary-mirror (the big one at the bottom) so that the telescope will give you, the viewer, the sharpest and best-centered images. When a scope is moved about, gets bumped, is shipped, or just feels like it( :grin: ), it may need such adjusted. Once you understand exactly what you are trying to accomplish, and why, and then do it successfully for the first time - it will be like riding a bicycle. It becomes easy. The guide from Astro-Baby will help you with this quite nicely, and you can always ask people here for their thought and suggestions.

Clear Skies,

Dave

Congratulations on your choice of scope! 8" will show you plenty. Don´t worry about collimation, it comes with owning a newtonian reflector and is pretty easy to do once you´ve done it a few times. Sounds more complicated than it is. Regarding eyepieces, there´s no need to rush things. Try the stock ones for a while and then figure out what you want or need from future eyepieces. Perhaps you want wider FOV? Or better eye relief if you´re wearing glasses? Or something else. Take your time, read up on various eyepieces that will fit your budget, ask questions and if possible visit an astronomy club and try a few to help you make up your mind.

Clear skies and looking forward to read a first light report. Oh, and don´t forget to post a few pics!  :grin:

Archived