NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Omni Eyepieces

Hi everyone,

Having recently purchased a Skyliner 250px Dobsonian i am looking to buy some more eyepieces, filters and a new finder scope.

currently on the list are the following, if anyone has had any experience with the below it would be great if you could let mw know, especially if any of them arent that good! My budget is about £150-£200 so i cant really afford to spend too much on any higher quality eyepieces (although i'd love to!)

Celestron Omni 2x Barlow - £39

Celestron Omni 40mm - £38

Meade Series 4000 Moon Filter: £15.49

Baader Neodyium Filter - £30

Red Dot Finder (from greenwitch)- £25

Thanks alot,

Personally I would opt for a 32mm eyepiece rather than the 40mm that you have listed. Assuming we are talking about the 1.25 inch fitting, a 32mm will show just as much sky as a 40mm because it gives a 50 degree field of view V's the 40mm's 43 degrees. The slightly higher magnification will darken the background sky a little more with the 32mm making faint objects a little easier to pick out and finally the exit pupil of a 32mm combined with an F/4.8 1200mm FL scope will work more effectively with your eye than a 40mm will.

Personally I'd go for an Baader UHC-S filter over the Neodyium but thats because I've found the former very effective !.

John

Personally I would opt for a 32mm eyepiece rather than the 40mm that you have listed. Assuming we are talking about the 1.25 inch fitting, a 32mm will show just as much sky as a 40mm because it gives a 50 degree field of view V's the 40mm's 43 degrees. The slightly higher magnification will darken the background sky a little more with the 32mm making faint objects a little easier to pick out and finally the exit pupil of a 32mm combined with an F/4.8 1200mm FL scope will work more effectively with your eye than a 40mm will.

I have a similar wish list for my 250px, although I was going to go for a Wixey to go with it and was thinking of a 2x Tal. With regard to the low power EP, I'm going to try a 2" 32mm EP:

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/adler/2inch-wide-angle-eyepiece/32mm.html

Current Wishlist:

Adler Optik Skarp 32mm 2" - £49

Tal 2x - £29

Green Laser Pointer & AC666 Laser-Mate Finder Bracket - £38

Wixey - £29

Total = £145 (will get filters on list once I'm sure I need them & which to get)

Possible further spending:

Pocket PC of some sort, running something that gives alt/az information for deep sky objects. Preferably one with a gps built in.

Mods planned:

Flocking

Drilling hole & fitting laminated Azimuth scale in the base, adding compass.

Levelling Feet & bubble level

Possibly will add some handles - although I don't find it too much hassle to carry now, I'm planning to use/own this scope for a *long* time.

Mods complete:

Milk bottle washer mod. Worth every penny :rolleyes:

I've got the 32mm omni and it's pretty good in my 6" f8 Its not quite as good optically as my tal 40mm but the view is still better as the magnification is higher and the same amount of sky is on view.

I use a mead APO barlow which is 40 quid and worth any penny it replaced my tal 2x which is quite good but the mead actually improves the performance of the eyepieces you use it with! Also the Tal barlow imparts a strong yellow cast on the image.

I also use the baader uhc filter which is very useful on deep sky and slightly improves the view in certain conditions on my P.S.T!

Luke

Archived