Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where can I get a refractor objective lens recoated?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could try some baader lens cleaning fluid or some isopropyl alcohol first before getting the coating replaced.

Recoating involves heating up the lens with the risk of breakage through thermal expansion. You will probably be asked to sign something absolving the coating supplier of responsibility if you go down this road.

There are soft coatings and hard ones...the softer ones are not so tough but don't need such a high temperature to put on so the risk is less..

I had a MgF2 soft coating put on my 5" OG by Vacuum Coatings in London 20 years ago. Don't know if they're still in business.

RL

On a previous thread someone asked OO to recoat an OG. OO replied that they would need to polish off the old coating which is effectively refiguring the surface at time and cost that makes it uneconomic. Apparently old coatings don't just dissolve off like aluminium does with mirrors.

RL

Archived