NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cooling fan with imaging?

redmoo

Hi All,

Just a quick question, should I install a primary mirror cooling fan to a 200p in order to make sure it tracks the temperature correctly during the night? I was reading over on the DIY astronomer thread that this can help with resolution....thought that sounded like a good idea, but then wont the vibration of the motor cause problems with the imaging? 

Just wondered what other people are doing (other than switching to a different scope!)

Thanks

Yes install a fan. Along with cooling the mirrors faster It will also help with preventing and removing condensation on the mirrors. The new usb powered fans with a speed control are quite silent and smooth. Very inexpensive. The fan causes me no issues in the imaging from vibrations.

To be honest I wouldn't bother. The scope will cool pretty quickly in our climate ( minus 3 last time I was out). Homemade dew shield should keep the secondary clear. I enjoy the peace when observing and would find even a quiet fan very annoying.

Archived