Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lynkeos on Macbook Air

DRT

I will declare now that I am an observer, not an imager, so please try to use simple words to answer my question otherwise I will not understand.

I own an Orion StarShoot Solar System Colour Imaging Camera IV and a Macbook Air running OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 and want to use these to take some basic images of the Sun and planets. I have a range of telescopes (see signature) and only use my CPC1100 in tracking mode but can piggy-back the smaller scopes on that if necessary.

I accept and intend to do nothing about the following constraints:

1. My images will not look like Hubble's
  2. I have no access to a Windows PC or the ability to run Windows on my Mac
  3. I want to use the software that came with the camera (Lynkeos) to capture and process the images

So my question is: can someone please tell me the basic settings that I need to plug into the Lynkeos capture module to allow me to take some half decent images? I do not know what all the terminology means so trial and error has proved to be useless as there seems to be a million combinations of how this could be set-up. If someone could give me a starting point with the settings and advice on which ones to tweak to allow for the conditions and what I happen to be pointing at it would be very much appreciated.

The main reason I am doing this is that I would like to capture the upcoming eclipse through either my Lunt LS50THa and/or Startravel 102. If the settings for Solar imaging are wildly different to planetary imaging it would be helpful to know both.

Also, if anyone knows where I can find some plain English tutorials that would help me that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Derek

Archived