2nd time out XT8

Hello, I'm new to the hobby and this is my first post.... I recently got an Orion XT8 and my first night out in late Dec. I got my scope together and checked out the moon with stock 25mm EP and 2X Barlow, was really excited with the view and immidiately wanted to upgrade to a 2" EP and Barlow. I purchased a 2.5X Celestron Barlow and 20mm Meade Ultra Wide EP and was off to find Jupiter! I used a cheap pair of binocular's to find Jupiter this past Sat. 1-17-2015 and then found it with my Scope, was a little disappointed with my view as Jupiter appeared mostly white and I could see 3 maybe 4 moons, I can't really remember as the clouds moved in quickly and ruined my night....... I'm hoping to get a better viewing night and thinking that the clouds are why I couldn't see Any detail, what EP would anyone recommend with my 8" Dob.? Keep in mind that I have a 2.5X Celestron Barlow, Also, is this a decent outfit to get detail with Jupiter? Feedback would be apprecited and also would like to know what all other's are checking out this time of year... :laugh:

The scope you have has 1200mm focal length. To work out what magnification you have divide the scope's focal length (1200) by the focal length of the eyepiece. So with the 25mm EP we have:- 1200/25 = 48. The 20mm by a similar calculation will give a magnification of 60. Your 2.5x Barlow will increase these figures by 2.5. So the 25mm EP will be x120 and the 20mm EP 150x. 

An ideal magnification on an average night for viewing Jupiter is between 150 and 200, your combination of 20mm EP and 2.5x Barlow will hit this just right.

You also ask what other targets to check out, first off download Stellarium a free planetarium program that will guide you around the sky:- http://www.stellarium.org/

Some of the great sights at this time are the Orion Nebula M42, the Messiers in Auriga (M36, M37 and M38) M35 in Gemini, and for some double stars, try Castor and Sigma Orionis.

BTW Don't forget to check out M45 (The Pleiades)

The scope you have has 1200mm focal length. To work out what magnification you have divide the scope's focal length (1200) by the focal length of the eyepiece. So with the 25mm EP we have:- 1200/25 = 48. The 20mm by a similar calculation will give a magnification of 60. Your 2.5x Barlow will increase these figures by 2.5. So the 25mm EP will be x120 and the 20mm EP 150x. 

An ideal magnification on an average night for viewing Jupiter is between 150 and 200, your combination of 20mm EP and 2.5x Barlow will hit this just right.

You also ask what other targets to check out, first off download Stellarium a free planetarium program that will guide you around the sky:- http://www.stellarium.org/

Some of the great sights at this time are the Orion Nebula M42, the Messiers in Auriga (M36, M37 and M38) M35 in Gemini, and for some double stars, try Castor and Sigma Orionis.

BTW Don't forget to check out M45 (The Pleiades)

Thanks alot for your Quick Reply... I downloaded the Stellarium program but my cpu will Not run it as I don't have a good video card and it's just not updated but I did find a sky-map that really helped me, this is how I found Jupiter. I'm thinking maybe a 10mm EP, maybe a 15, what would you suggest as I'm wanting to check out Saturn & it's rings. Plan to check out the Nebulas etc. that you have suggested and I have read where the Lower Power EP is the way to go when viewing them. Thanks Again

When I started I found it really hard to match up Stellarium with what I was looking at. I did much better using a copy of the Pocket Sky Atlas because I could hold it next to my telescope and turn it around to line up what I was looking at. You might want to try that (it was only about £7), especially if your computer won't run Stellarium.

When I started I found it really hard to match up Stellarium with what I was looking at. I did much better using a copy of the Pocket Sky Atlas because I could hold it next to my telescope and turn it around to line up what I was looking at. You might want to try that (it was only about £7), especially if your computer won't run Stellarium.

Will Certainly give this a try my man, I really appreciate your in-put & help! :cool:

Hi Timeade65

The most consistent eyepiece for me in my 8" dob for planets would be the 9mm due to seeing conditions. Anything below that  and detail is lost unless it is really clear.

Occasionally when seeing is very good I use it in my 2x barlow, but that isnt very often.

You really need to sit at the telescope for a good hour with jupiter as high in the sky as possible, the more time you spend relaxed and observing the detail will slowly come to you but it is well worth the wait.

Hey All, I finally got a really Clear night last night, I set up right as it was getting dark, Patiently waiting on Jupiter to Rise in the Eastern Sky. As I was waiting, I noticed a Very Bright object in the Western Sky, dialed it in and it was a bright orange for the most of it but it was dropping Very fast! I'm guessing it was Mars but I'm not sure as this was only my 3rd night out and I'm just starting to figure out these Sky Charts a little bit. I also saw another smaller object that was All White not far from the orange 1........ After that, I saw Jupiter was up but I'm in a sub-division and just like the 1st time checking it out it's right over top of a house. I waited a little bit longer and I got an Awesome view of it, Clearly saw a couple of dark bands around the middle of it and the 4 moons! Looking to see if I can get even more detail, last night I was using the 2.5X Barlow with a 20mm EP,  any suggestions on another EP? Gonna try to find some deep space objects next time out........ Thank you all for any advice.........

Archived