NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

12 Lyncis (Struve 948)

NGC 1502

Hi all.   Got my February edition of Astronomy Now magazine yesterday, and being a double star fan, I always look for the double star of the month page.

This time Bob Argyle featured 12 Lyncis (page 80) and as it was clear last night, thought I'd give it a go, but was not sure if my ED80 was up to it, or if  I'd need my Dob.

I have to confess that 12 Lyncis is in a part of the sky I don't often visit, but Bob's star hop instructions and my star charts soon had me on target.

Delighted to say that my ED80 was indeed up to the task, saw two stars at 80x, and 150x revealed all three, the overhead location helping.

If you don't have the Feb edition of Astronomy Now, here's another source of info  http://www.perezmedia.net/beltofvenus/archives/000847.html

Well worth checking out, and several more doubles in the vicinity.

Regards, Ed.

12 Lyncis showed as a beautiful triple at x200. I marked it out as being a stunning sight. The close 1.9" pair contrast well with the fainter out laying 8.7" companion.

I noted 38 Lyncis, Σ 946, Σ1001, Σ1004, 20Lyncis, 19 Lyncis (triple), 38 Lynchis and Σ1369 as being worth a look,

Nick.

Archived