NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

re Synscan v4 Polar Alignment

Philip Benson

I have an EQ8 equipped with Synscan v4 and have been trying to carry out a successful polar alignment.   So far I have been mainly using the polarscope but reading through some other discussions leads me to think the alignment method without the polarscope (Sect 11.3 of the manual) is the preferred method.

Reading through the sequence of steps 1 and 2 are straightforward but then we come to step 3 where the controller shows 'Select a star'.  At this point should I try to choose a reference star which is as near to the meridian/celestial equator as possible as would be the case for drift alignment or does it not really matter? 

I've been using the PA routine with my heq5 for a little whole now, with alot of success.

I just choose stars that I can see at the time, at the moment it's usually Rigel, Pollux or Alderbaran.

Once seems to be good enough for flat PHD graphs, but twice wouldn't hurt :)

Archived