Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

anybody can give me advice on scope?

hi! i am hendrik Dai from shanghai, China. i am a beginner. i am planning to buy a scope for researching stars. i wish the scope i am going to buy will be:

1) price is better to be less than 3,000rmb (400usd or so), for beginner.

2) the scope can be connected to my computer, which was installed debian linux. i wish i can search and take photos through computer.

3) as i am living in an area where the light pollution is insufferable, i wish the scope can overcome this problem at some grade. of cause i can drive to suburb, so i also wish it be small enough to be packed in my polo.

please recommend me the best model. thanks if you can kindly help me out. :afro:

hi! i am hendrik Dai from shanghai, China. i am a beginner. i am planning to buy a scope for researching stars. i wish the scope i am going to buy will be:

1) price is better to be less than 3,000rmb (400usd or so), for beginner.

2) the scope can be connected to my computer, which was installed debian linux. i wish i can sea ch and take photos through computer.

3) as i am living in an area where the light pollution is insufferable, i wish the scope can overcome this problem at some grade. of cause i can drive to suburb, so i also wish it be small enough to be packed in my polo.

please recommend me the best model. thanks if you can kindly help me out. :D

ok. maybe i started a hard question. i will try again in local astronomers' forums. :afro:

Hello,

You mention 400 US Dollars, the current exchange rate here in the UK will give about £200 for that amount of dollars. For that amount you won't be able to get anything brilliant. However I assume that maybe the prices of telescopes are a little cheaper in Shanghai / China as this is where the majority of them are made.

If I were you I would look at a 6 inch or 8 inch newtonian reflector. Or maybe even a smaller goto scope, such as this one: http://firstlightoptics.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=slt130 if you are a beginner.

For your $400's though you aren't really going to be able to get much. To view and take images through a telescope requires a webcam/ccd which can cost £200's alone. You will also need the accesories such as computer cables and power cables. A light pollution filter can be purchased also.

Some other members of this forum can probably give you some better advice.

Hi,

It is difficult for us in UK to estimate scope prices for you as at the current exchange rate 400USD is equal to about 200GBP but if the same scope was sold for 400USD in the USA it would cost about 400GBP in the UK !!!!! :shock:

I will try to help you: -

If you want a scope to pick up and take to the suburbs I would recommend a small refractor scope. Maybe something like a Celestron Omni XLT 102 or an equivalent make. They usually come with a good mount. If you want to link to your computer then the easiest way costing little money is to use a web cam like a Philips SPC900NC. You remove the lens from the camera and use an adapter to place the camera in the scope where the eyepiece goes. I do not know much about computers so I don't know if your computer operating system is compatible with this device. You might also find that you will need to buy a mount with drive motors that takes into account the rotation of the earth to take pictures. You can buy a mount with these already installed or buy seperately and install yourself.

There are many, many places on this forum which will tell you how to use your scope and webcam. Keep browsing on this forum and searching the Internet and you will find many very good answers.

Like here for planets: - http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,3523.0.html

Hope this helps you

Bill£ :afro:

Archived