SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet Lovejoy

Can anyone give advice on exposure length and iso to use when using a 1000d dslr to capture the latest comet Lovejoy. I hope to do some wide field (50mm) some closer (135mm) and then hopefully some shots with my f7.5 c80ed scope. all advice welcome.. Going to try this tomorrow night.

I had a go at it last night - 3 minutes, ISO800 @ 650mm focal length (f/5) was probably too long, started to pick up some of the comet movement. I think 90-120 seconds would be the sweet spot for my focal length. I'm not sure how big it'll look widefield, but it would be cool to catch it with M45 (which if it isn't close enough tomorrow, I think it will be next week)

I'm going to try again within the week with my astrograph, I'll probably jack the ISO up to at least 1600 to make up for the loss in exposure time. Good luck!

I did some wide field a week or so ago, but it was down in the murk then and it was close to full moon. I did about 5 to 7 minutes worth of 30sec or 60sec frames at iso800 with an 1100d and 28mm, 55mm and 200mm at f4 or f5.6, tracked on a Polarie. If the clouds ever clear I'll try longer exposures now it's higher in the sky. Here it is with the 200mm. Not good but at least I got something in the bag!

post-22965-0-49865500-1420846741_thumb.j

Can anyone give advice on exposure length and iso to use when using a 1000d dslr to capture the latest comet Lovejoy. I hope to do some wide field (50mm) some closer (135mm) and then hopefully some shots with my f7.5 c80ed scope. all advice welcome.. Going to try this tomorrow night.

Use your histogram to get the peak somewhere between 20>40%.

With a Canon somewhere between the second and third line of the histogram will do.

Set your Iso and take a test exposure so the peak of the histogram is at least to the first line.

I would try ISO 800 not sure with your cam but 1600 might be ok as well, give it a try.

Archived