Comet hiccup

Decided to have a go at Lovejoy with the 10"SCT tonight that was at 8.30 and ended up a complete shambles, forgot I'd taken the LP filter out and wondered why all the pic's were of a big blue fuzzy circular gradient, then as its 2500mm f/l it needs guiding and PHD decided it didn't want to play messed about for a while then remembered last time I used it was with the OAG but now I'd moved it back to the piggy backed refractor so all the settings were wrong, and I'd rebalanced it when I had the LS60DS on it, so as that weighs a ton the balance was way off, just got it all sorted and guiding nicely and it clouded over and as a final nail in my coffin, after I put the LP filter in I forgot to refocus.

So here's the result of two hours work, a single fuzzy out of focus JPEG, enjoy  :grin:

Dave

post-21198-0-79237300-1420585188.jpg

Jee, sounds a little like my evening :)

I thought I'd use the mono H9 for the comet, I too was having a little grief with PHD. Also had a condensation spot on the ccd window :(

Decided to piggy back the 400D for a wide field comet shot, centred the camera THEN aligned the scope. So I have one frame with the Comet, the rest it's out of the frame.

So I can really feel for you :)

One strange thing though, I've been in and out all evening setting up etc, in just jeans and T Shirt. Considering it's clear and January it's pretty warm!

Archived