NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Skymaster 20 x 80 - owners - help !

Telescope40

Evenin all.  Owned a pair of these binos for a while.  More than happy with them.  However,  just one big niggle.  The " locking " nut that tightens up on the central " silver bar " that runs down the centre on the binos, will not lock out.    The binos wobble and from side to side when in use on my tripod or monopods I have.  I dont mean  attaching to a tripod - thats fine.  Its the " top locking nut " that is not living up to it's name.

Tried a bit of rubber down the thread to try and get it to " lock off " but with no luck.

Good chance i'm missing the blindingly obvious, as i often do.

Any ideas to try and resolve the issue.

Regards and thanks in advance as always.

John

It's purpose is not to stop the binoculars rocking, but to stop them (and the bar) sliding back & forth. Given the relative distances from thecentre of rotation, you wouild need one heck of a force to stop them rocking. You get exactly the same on "normal" binoculars on a tripod adaptor. If they do rotate in use, just put them back at the angle you want them.

John,

Rubber is too soft, plastic is too brittle.

Normally there is a circular nylon plug, or spacer,  attached to the bottom of the threaded "locking nut", as you call it.

I own a leather punch hand tool, that punches different size holes in leather, such as a man's leather belt.

If you cannot make a tiny, circular, nylon spacer you could always try using a tiny circular leather spacer instead.

The idea is to tighten the "locking nut" enough to keep the binocular from sliding back & forth on the metal rail, without damaging the metal rail.

Stan 

Archived