NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First time

It looks like the whole of the Anglia region will have a clear sky tonight and as a complete newbie I am planning to have a go with the new scope that I bought yesterday (OO VX8, EQ5).

I have seen a YT vid on how to balance the tube and roughly polar align.  I think I know which bit goes in where but when looking through the focuser without an eyepiece in place it appears that the mirrors are not completely aligned: the centre of the main mirror looks off-center in the aperture.  Will I see anything or should I have a go at collimating it?

Telescope is certainly in need of collimating. The used eyepieces that came with the scope are filthy, as are the primary and secondary mirrors. That said, I would call last evening a complete success as a first time.

Saw some amazing detail on the moon, went on to fine Castor (fuzzy white dot) and Pollux (ditto) then ventured on to Jupiter after it had risen above the tree.  This was very exciting to see as the four moons were visible and I could make out the banding, if a little fuzzy.

While touring around Orion I found a fuzzy smudged star and at first thought one of my daughters had prodded the eyepiece. After switching from the old dirty EP to the newer clean one I realised I was looking at M42. I couldn't resist having a play with the camera and managed to capture this image using manual slewing - I can see how astrophotography could become addictive!

Shopping list:  laser collimator and lens cleaning fluid.

Telescope is certainly in need of collimating. The used eyepieces that came with the scope are filthy, as are the primary and secondary mirrors. That said, I would call last evening a complete success as a first time.

Saw some amazing detail on the moon, went on to fine Castor (fuzzy white dot) and Pollux (ditto) then ventured on to Jupiter after it had risen above the tree.  This was very exciting to see as the four moons were visible and I could make out the banding, if a little fuzzy.

While touring around Orion I found a fuzzy smudged star and at first thought one of my daughters had prodded the eyepiece. After switching from the old dirty EP to the newer clean one I realised I was looking at M42. I couldn't resist having a play with the camera and managed to capture this image using manual slewing - I can see how astrophotography could become addictive!

Shopping list:  laser collimator and lens cleaning fluid.

If you give Castor some magnification, about x100 or more you will see that it is visually a triple, there are in fact at least six stars in the system but the rest are two close to split.

Well done on the image. You do realise that once started you will empty your wallet quicker than you can re-fill it  :p

Thank you Alan.  

Yes, I do feel I have taken a bite of the apple.  I have a SycScan upgrade in its box and had not planned to install it until I had found my way around; I feel an itch...

No, no, no, no, do not put a camera anywhere near a telescope it is lethal to bank accounts! ;)

BTW, don't be over bothered with PA if you are manually visually observing it is not a requirement. Although learning the process is a good idea for when you hook up the SynScan and god forbid a camera.

Clean eyepieces are a good idea, but go very gently on the mirrors. They would have to be very bad indeed to require cleaning, be careful with lens cleaning fluid.

Thanks Rich. You are right and I have been persuaded not to touch the mirrors (both are covered in dust). Having looked at the UT vids, the idea of soaking the mirrors in the washing up bowl fills me with apprehension.

I do have a taste for this camera lark tho. I tried a PA last night and after 3 mins on my knees in the frosted grass, neck cricked from trying to look into the polar scope, it figured it was near enough. Then I did the dance around the site scope, leaning in from ever more contortionist angles. At one point I felt like a snooker player trying to bridge over the cushions, on one leg.

Perhaps I should forget about putting a camera on the main scope and try putting them on the other two instead?

I cleaned my mirrors (very very carefully) with pads and fluid normally used for DSLR sensors. Figured if it's ok there, then a mirror should be ok too. Worked well, but fluid evaporates so quick, it's hard to keep the pad damp - but with a bit of patience they are now clean

Archived