NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pentax 10x50 PCF WP II - Good enough 10x50 ?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice comparison between the APM apo and the bins! 

I do agree that the 11x70 bins will draw more light under really dark skies, but magnification does play a role and the Nikon 10x50 should cover the 10x range. The 20x60 bins will provide some more eyecandy (i.e. more detail becoming resolved due to higher mag).

It's the massive exit pupil of the 11x70 bins that worry me if they will be used from a moderately light polluted area as then the benefit of aperture is reduced by the large exit pupil.

The exit pupil is a concern, but even at my age (nearly 53) I can use quite big exit pupils; again, a personal thing. Under bad skies nothing really works well. I remember some very dark skies in both Israel (especially near Sde Boker in the Negev in 1980), and Cyprus (in 1996).

Don't mention bad weather! It's really bad right now, but I did sneak some good views of Comet Lovejoy on the 24th, 26th and 28th of December.

We still have decent skies here, with SQM readings at 21.10 - 21.40, so not doing bad at all! Drop by any time (not in the next week or so as weather is a disaster!).

Thanks Michael ! 

I'll name my new binoculars after you, the Hilkinson Wilkinson 11x70 :)

I wonder if you would consider hand holding of the 20X60 Pentax, at 2.2 degrees fov, you sound strong-armed.

BA-8 instrument is def on the wishlist ! I am ALL FOR maximum portability,at least for the foreseeable future :)  

Sde Boker is indeed a black hole on earth, hah ! 

Archived