Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

which IR pass filter?

Stardust

I've come across mention of an IR pass filter a few times and would like to try one, but which one for my scope.

I'm using a 127 ED refractor and PGR Blackfly EV2 and the increased sharpness of the Moon is my target.

As far as I can tell my choices are Baader 685, 610, Astronomik 742.

I had hoped to try a Red 23A - 550 & Red 25 - 580 tonight but the clouds stopped that idea. I suppose once I have tried these I'll have some idea of my light throughput. 

I appreciate I'm using a much smaller aperture than the folk with big cats, but happy with the results from the scope, just trying to squeeze that little extra from the equipment.

Any thoughts welcomed

David 

i have the 742 for my explorer 200, but it does lower the light quite a bit, and i'm not sure how well it wil fit on slower scopes if you don't have a very good camera (high sensitivity and s/n after 742nm).

Note that there's also a new filter available now, wich might be worth looking into - but i have no experience with this one though...

http://www.astronomik.com/en/photographic-filters/proplanet-642-bp-ir-passfilter.html

Archived