NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focuser Movement

Hey all, happy new year.

I've got a slight problem with my SW 130P. I was doing the collimation on my scope the other night with my laser collimator and i got it within the circle on the primary mirror, but when i moved the focuser up and down the the laser point would move out of the circle depending where i moved the focuser too. Any idea what could be happening?

TBH, it could be something i've done at some point, as in my attempt to collimate before, before i've properly read guides etc, i messed around with a lot of screws on my tube, even the spider ones(oops).

I'd quite like to get this scope back in tip top shape, as i'm going to upgrade my Alt-Azimuth mount and get a EQ3 Pro or an EQ5 pro, depending which is best.

Much help appreciated.

I can't offer any advice but I'm keen to see what comes up.

I noticed the other day I could get the laser in the middle easy enough but when I rotated the collimator 180°  it was way out.

I checked to see if the laser was straight and it was so that doesn't account for the movement.

This appears to be a separate issue from the slight wobble in the focuser but I'm at a loss so thought to ignore it before I lose my mind.

That said, search astrobaby's guide to collimation in google, it's a really good step by step guide.

Try to rock the focus tube, if you can then it needs adjusting. If the focuser is a rack & pinion type there are usually two very small grub screw which nan be carefully and equally tightened to take up the play,   :smiley: 

Try to rock the focus tube, if you can then it needs adjusting. If the focuser is a rack & pinion type there are usually two very small grub screw which nan be carefully and equally tightened to take up the play,   :smiley:

When you tighten them though it then is too tight for the focuser to move freely, on mine at least.

Archived