Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

State of my mirror !

After 25 years I think the primary in my 6-inch Dob needs either recoating or replacing. It does have a couple of scratches but the main issue is the tarnishing of the coatings and the actual silvering - you can see light streaming through in the pic. One thing though, I hope this gives heart to all of you who fret over minor blemishes on your optics - this mirror still provides satisfactory results !

post-23676-0-16613700-1420078159_thumb.j

From the photo, it looks nice and shiny. But I can't really tell from a photograph, so I'd defer to your view. 25 years is a long-haul for a mirror though. Mine was in poor shape after about 14 years. Sent it off earlier this year along with secondary. The place over here that did the re-coating did a, pardon the pun, stellar job! I hope you find a place/person as good over on your side of the pond!

Clear Skies & Shiny-Mirrors,

Dave

The new coating:

post-38438-0-90262000-1420085802.jpg

Archived