One eyepiece to complete my collection.

Hello,my eyepiece collection consists of a Skywatcher Aero 35mm,Televue Nagler T4 22mm,Celestron 15mm Luminos, Pentax XF 8.5 and 12mm.I am hoping to buy a higher power eyepiece in the 4.5mm focal length to complete my collection.These eyepieces are  used with my Skywatcher ed 120mm refractor and my Orion Optics 8 inch F6 newtonian.The Explorer Scientific 4.7mm 82 degree field, Meade series 5000 HD-60 4.5mm have been considered.As I observe manually a wider field is helpful.What advice would you give me?

The 4.7mm would give magnifications of 191.4 x with the refractor and 255x with the Newtonian.There would be very few nights where the seeing conditions would allow the benefit of a higher power eyepiece.

I put out a review on the 4.7mm ExSc a few months back, not a bad eyepiece at all and for the money very good indeed. I was using it against the 5mm Pentax and 4.5mm Delos though I didn't write about the latter.

There is not a massive selection at the focal length area as even Pentax jump from 5mm the 3.5mm. Televue's are costly though very good of course and this F/L is rare on the secondhand market. I have read that the 60 degree Teleskop Services HR range are very good and not expensive but what they are like at F6 I don't know, this is not a very fast scope but it can start to find out faults around the edges of some eyepieces.

The Meade 5.5mm is another one I have owned and tested, that too is very good but seems very difficult to source, Telly House have not had them for a long time. The 5mm Radian is another quality act but rare S/H and this is the only way you will get one.

John's reviews on the new Vivens seemed very good but it is narrower FOV but there is a 4mm and 5mm I believe, worth serious thought.

I think I would go with the 4.7mm ExSc!

Alan.

I chose the 4.7mm ExSc and am very pleased with it, though not tried it in a fast scope, but works well with my 100mm frac giving me a 191x (identical to your scope!), so have only used it in good seeing conditions, great on the Moon, of course.  I got mine from TH, very good service and timed delivery by courier, can't fault them.

Archived