Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Adding an 8inch starhopper OTA onto a HEQ-5 mount (help)

EA2007

Hey kids,

Wondering if it would be possible to attach the OTA from a Celestron 8inch Starhopper onto a Skywatcher HEQ-5 mount?

I assume that I would be needing the dovetail bar and tube rings to make the attachment possible.

Also.... I am wanting to do some astro-imaging with this setup, when I attempted to rig my Olympus digital SLR upto the OTA last summer I couldn't achieve focus. I would therefore like to know if the problem lies in the camera or the scope? I am going to purchase a new digital SLR in the next few months so if anyone has any ideas on a dslr which would achieve focus with this setup, it would be appreciated.

Otherwise what would I need to achieve focus?

Thanks

Ah okay,

I aren't at home atm to check on the 1.25" adapter so I shall check in a few weeks. Just I had major issues when trying to get focus on it last time, there wasn't enough room on the down turn on the focusing knob to achieve proper focus. I know that there's an adpater you can get that reverses the focus somehow.

Also, the Starhopper has a hole in each side of it, I assume that these could just be covered over with tape or something to prevent light getting in?

I did a similar thing a while ago with my 8" Newt to a HEQ5 (is the StarHopper a Newtonian Reflecter?) - just had to buy tube rings and a dovetail bar. The other thing you might want to think about is an extended counterweight bar or an extra weight.

cheers

Sam

Archived