Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Problem with PixInsight and 7DMkII

griz11

I can't get images from the 7DMkII to calibrate. I can do the bias and dark frames ok but when I try the actual data against the calibration files I get ERROR: Incompatible image geometry and it fails. Initially I used my old calibration files and figured it was from the different size sensors so I redid all my calibration files and it still aborts. The only thing I've been able to dig up on this issue talks about different sized files but I've checked and they are all 5472x3648. Am I running into a problem reading the 7DMkII files? The raw file interface is based on dcraw. I checked that and it doesn't list the 7DMkII yet. I know there are some differences because Adobe raw had to be updated to handle the images. BYE had to be updated as well you need the 3.1 version. So I'm kinda stumped here. I guess maybe I'll have to convert these to tiff in Ps then work with them in Pi. Disappointing for sure. The images look good in BYE so hopefully I can figure this out and get them processed.

Griz

I suspect it doesn't support it yet. DCRaw may update but it needs to be linked in by the PixInsight team. I'd ask them when it will be supported...

When DCRaw standalone can finally read them you can export the unadulterated files as TIFF files and use them...I had to do that with the 5D3.

You can find the command line used by looking at the PixInsight console when opening a raw file.

Well it turned out to be operator error after all. I had a new version of BYE and hadn't set the output just to RAW. It was putting out jpeg and raw and the jpeg would cause the calibration to choke. Still not sure its working either that or the MkII is pretty much noiseless. Haven't seen enough pixels in the hi and low images to warrant even doing them. The image that comes out is very green but cleans up with background extraction. However the colors are all washed out. Thinking I'll have to use Ps to convert them to Tiff until this is resolved. Adobe has released camera raw that includes the MkII. I shot a lot of subs the past couple of nights hopefully I can get something decent. The ones of the Orion Nebula are very detailed in the clouds. The atmosphere wasn't the best the past couple of nights. I couldn't get the FWHM under 2.9. They come out totally white in Deep Sky Stacker so looks like it doesn't support the MkII yet either. APT has an upgrade coming. BYE just released their upgrade that includes MKII support. I read that Canon was late with the SDK so its put everyone behind.

Griz

Archived