Ye Olde Optickes

Eli's been nagging me to look into getting some Carl Zeiss optics of some description, because her home-town is very near to Jena, where CZJ's original factory is.

Well, the other day, I logged onto UK AB&S to find a pair of WWII 8x24 binoculars on there for a bargain. I snapped them up, as I was always keen to get a hold of some astronomical history, and to have it with the partner's approval is of course a bonus! :afro:

I carried on researching Carl Zeiss stuff, and came across the Jenoptem binoculars, which appear to be quite a legendary set of optics. The 7x50's particularly caught my eye - 72 degree field 8). Eventually I want to pick up a pair of these. What I would also eventually like is something special for the living room. An ancestor of modern optics, a legendary telescope. Any suggestions?

Anyway, the whole point about this is thread to bring up the subject of "dated" optics, which sadly is seldom discussed these days. The likes of CZJ produced incredible things for the time, which still stand up very well to modern optics. I think this is incredible, and deserves our attention.

Who else shares my new-found fascination for the history of optics?

Andrew

Count me in - I still sometimes use the brass refractor I've had for 35 years. I've always been interested in the old stuff. If you want a Zeiss astro telescope, be prepared to pay a fortune. They stopped making them about 12 years ago. One of the easiest to find is the Telementor 63mm refractor made for schools in Communist East Germany in the 1980s. It came as a complete outfit that included an ortho eyepiece and was made in Jena. The small objective shows just how sharp a top-quality achro can be. But if you go in for old stuff be prepared for narrow FOVs and next to zero eye relief - that applies to binoculars as well - Hugh.

Andrew, i have 2 sets of Jena Otho's and believe me they are the best ortho;s i have looked through look in the members equipment under the one that got away i have posted a picture of them.

Saw that, Tom. I meant to mention you in my original post...

I think you missed out a decimal place... :afro:

Actually not. I meant to say 72 degrees apparent field. I've heard they are really sharp binoculars, although it's also said that stars get quite mucky for 40% of the FOV...

I know someone who's selling a ziess telementor if thats any good.. its around 25-30 yrs old and in good nick. Sadly its to expensive for me or I would have grabbed it.

I saw that too, and indeed it is tempting, but very expensive...

Andrew

No, I mean you have a AFOV on an eyepiece because it can be used in differing telescopes, it allows you to figure out the TFOV the eyepiece in different setups. I can't see why you need that figure at all for binos, they are only used as a unit so the TFOV is all that matters.

Yes, you're right, but for me, a 70 degree field at 7x is nicer than a 60 degree field at 7x. This equates to having a larger true field, but I can't calculate in my head the AFOV from the oft-quoted linear field and magnification values, so for me, it's nice to have the AFOV mentioned too, to give me an idea of the luxury factor, if you like.

Andrew

A friend of mine has a 6" f15 Zeiss Coude Refractor complete with 2 full sets of Jena Orthos and bino viewer

it's a big old beast that's for sure but the views through it are stunning.

It's the actual scope that KT Tunstall refers to in 'Eye to the Telescope'

Ian

wow! Thanks for that. KT is a favourite of mine. My partner bought me that album just from the title, which is how we discovered her.

do you mean she's referring to that specific one of your friend's, or in general that model?

Andrew

I still don't get it? In binos surely TFOV is all that matters, if you know the mag then the curious can find out the AFOV but it seems irrelevant to me?

A AFOV of 70 degrees at x7 will obviously be wider than a 60 degree field at x7 but that will be shown in the more practical TFOV figure (TFOV= AFOV/mag), ie. how much field you'll actually see through the binos , the AFOV just isn't needed. Maybe it was just an "advertising thing"??

wow! Thanks for that. KT is a favourite of mine. My partner bought me that album just from the title, which is how we discovered her.

do you mean she's referring to that specific one of your friend's, or in general that model?

Andrew

its that specific one.

it came from Sterling Uni. where her father was a lecturer in astronomy.

Ian

Archived