filters

alro

I suspect the only 2 filters worth having are a moon filter, if the brightness bothers you and an OIII filter.

The moon filter may be of some use and the polarising filter (maybe) but as it is not a variable polarizer I am not sure.

The colours I see no use for, what do you expect to see if the moon is yellow that you cannot see direct ?

Filters for astro use have to be chosen carefully, you do not "colour" the sky as in a landscape photograph.

Saying it is an "Astro" filter set is I think questionable as only the moon filter likely qualifies, and that is simply an ND filter.

I think you'll be surprised. A violet filter can be very useful for adding detail to the bands of Jupiter. A red filter will work just as well as a moon filter and also brings out lots of details. The key to using filters in observing is perseverance. They are not 'magic bullets' that make a huge difference immediately, but with consistent use you will begin to tease out details you have not seen before.

Hugh

I think you'll be surprised. A violet filter can be very useful for adding detail to the bands of Jupiter. A red filter will work just as well as a moon filter and also brings out lots of details. The key to using filters in observing is perseverance. They are not 'magic bullets' that make a huge difference immediately, but with consistent use you will begin to tease out details you have not seen before.

Hugh

I think you will find the observing community split on using filters although I am firmly in the camp of liking them and the differing results/detail they help you tease out. I have about 10 filters and all of these get used, some more often than others but they do all have a use.

However I would suggest maybe just a Neodymium filter 0.9 for now as this will be effective on Jupiter and the moon in cutting down on the brightness and increasing contrast. Then see if you can get a loan of other filters from an astro club to try them out on various objects before you buy as they are not cheap. The Neodymium filter is always handy to have available especially on a bright, near full moon or when viewing planets from dark sky's.

Archived