Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Choosing equipment (OTA mfg, EP)

Hello,

I'm choosing my first telescope. My main interest (at least at first) is visual observation of moon and planets. DSOs might become more interesting lately but DSO imaging most probably not in near future. I'm gonna observe from my backyard where the light pollution is relatively well in control but I'm living close to sea if that makes any difference to the probability of good 'seeing'.

I've narrowed my choice to EQ5 + SW 200PDS... almost. I have one doubt here: I've learned about Orion Optics VX8 which claims to give sharper images of planets because of better primary mirror (1/8 PV). But it comes with double price. The question is if I'd see any difference using more expensive optics or would SW 200PDS serve my interests well enough?

Another question is about EPs. I've been thinking of investing into one very high quality EP. Considering my interests, a high power one would make most sense. I've been thinking of Televue Delos 6mm or Televue Nagler 6-3mm. The question goes: Is it probable that the ability to zoom beyond 166x will show so much more details of the moon and planets (on the best nights) that it's worth giving up the bigger FOV and other visual qualities of a Delos EP?

Thanks,

Chipela

A dob will be good - if you're in a windy area, then perhaps a heavier mount.

Telescopes that are normally 2-4 meter focal length)are pure planetary beasts (most are then too slow for DSO).

The SW will be fine, the OO will also do but as you've said - it may be better just to go for a 250P but then you'll really need an EQ6.. 

Hello. Chipela the dobsonian 200p will do all the things you want to do at a very good price. It's big enough to get good views of DSO,s and the planets. As for the eye pieces I believe they are very good makes, however you will need good seeing to make full use of high powered EPs it does not always mean that because you have a high powered EP you will always have the clear skies to use it. So you may need to considered a number of lower powered ones. Best of luck with your choice.

The Skywatcher brands are pretty good, I doubt you would really notice much notice at least initially.

I'd say get the Skywatcher and invest in some better eyepieces :)

Also, do consider buying second hand. Can save much cash this way. Try astrobuysell.com - I have no affiliation to this but someone is selling a 200pds here..

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=90729

Best of luck mate,

Ben

The thing about telescopes is that there is always a bigger and better one, and usually at twice the price!  It can get uncomfortable drooling over them, and when you eventually take the plunge you may wonder was your old scope really that bad, and are you getting double the fun / use from your new investment.  Experience shows that the bigger the scope, the less likely it is to get used (unless you have it permanently mounted in an observatory).

Best to just start off with what you can afford and reasonably lift without destroying your back, then get the most out of it.  200 is a very manageable size, the EQ5 mount will be heavy but manageable probably in one piece with care.  NEQ6 is a beast, I cannot carry mine in one piece (mount unscrews from the tripod) and it takes that bit longer to set up, so I seldom get mine out these days - it is for special occasions only, like occasionally viewing the lunar surface in detail or trying to view planets; I use my 150P on Celestron Omni CG-4 mount far more often (the CG-4 also can be run on 4xAA batteries, the NEQ6 requires a heavy leisure battery or mains 12v supply, not to mention all the dew control wires and stuff that my 8SE requires, no such requirement on the 150P except for the dew shield).

Archived