NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 120/1000 refractor first light report

jarbi

Hi Everyone,

I was planning already for a long time to get a refractor with reasonable aperture, to quickly pop out when it suddenly clears up in the evening. Since I have a pretty strong EQ3 mount, I just purchased only the OTA of the Skywatcher. To be clear, this is the "cheap" 120mm, not the ED one. Finder scope and bracket was in the package, together with tube tings and a short dovetail. Since I was not so happy with the focuser, I decided for a Baader dual speed Crayford, which can be fitted on this scope pretty easily. This happened more than two weeks ago, and today I had the first chance to test it outside.

There was strong wind and some clouds coming and going, so I thought I will not try very high magnifications. I took a Synta binoviewer with 12mm ortho's and 1.6 Barlow, and I targeted the Moon first. Since I didn't see the sky since so long time, the first surprise was M45 to see so close to the Moon ! Seeing was better than average, apparently the wind had no bad effect on it. I had a good half hour before more serious clouds were rolling in, and I enjoyed evey second. I was happily surprised by the crisp views through this scope :afro:.

Saturn was already high up, so let's see. Using the same oculars, I got amazingly sharp and rich images ! Even with this magnification, banding was clearly visible and the ring looked fantastic !

So, all in all I think it will be a very good scope, I will use it also for DSLR photography.

cheers,

Janos

Nice straightforward review of your Skywatcher 120mm "Evostar" refractor Janus.

Sounds like you have a very good scope there.

I was tempted to go for the 120 Skywatcher myself, but opted for the TAL100RS in the end! I'm impressed with the TAL, but I would like to take a look through a Skywatcher 120 someday! I've heard they are great scopes for the money.

Best wishes,

philsail1

Hi Everyone,

I was planning already for a long time to get a refractor with reasonable aperture, to quickly pop out when it suddenly clears up in the evening. Since I have a pretty strong EQ3 mount, I just purchased only the OTA of the Skywatcher. To be clear, this is the "cheap" 120mm, not the ED one. Finder scope and bracket was in the package, together with tube tings and a short dovetail. Since I was not so happy with the focuser, I decided for a Baader dual speed Crayford, which can be fitted on this scope pretty easily. This happened more than two weeks ago, and today I had the first chance to test it outside.

There was strong wind and some clouds coming and going, so I thought I will not try very high magnifications. I took a Synta binoviewer with 12mm ortho's and 1.6 Barlow, and I targeted the Moon first. Since I didn't see the sky since so long time, the first surprise was M45 to see so close to the Moon ! Seeing was better than average, apparently the wind had no bad effect on it. I had a good half hour before more serious clouds were rolling in, and I enjoyed evey second. I was happily surprised by the crisp views through this scope :afro:.

Saturn was already high up, so let's see. Using the same oculars, I got amazingly sharp and rich images ! Even with this magnification, banding was clearly visible and the ring looked fantastic !

So, all in all I think it will be a very good scope, I will use it also for DSLR photography.

cheers,

Janos

Hi Janos,

I had the same scope as you for about 2 years and it proved to be a superb piece of kit. It excelled at lunar and planetary views and like yours produced very sharp images. It wasn't too shabby on starfields and nebula either and was also brilliant on double stars. I didn't have a single problem with mine ( even the standard focusser worked well ) and I only changed it for the 6" F8 version which I also find to be great. You will get lots of enjoyment with this scope.

Jim

Hi Janos,

Who supplied your dual speed crayford focusser? I've been looking for one for my 4" helios refractor without much luck so far.

Cheers John.

John,

I have found it in Lichtenecker Optics in Belgium, but I think this is the place for you: http://www.celestron.uk.com. When you type "crayford" in search there, you will directly see the steeltracks of Baader.

Please check also here: http://www.baader-planetarium.de/zubehoer/mechadap/fokussierung.htm#cray_2zoll_refraktor

Good luck !

cheers,

Janos

• 2 weeks later...

Archived