NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Laptop Power

I have a golf cart battery which is as heavy as a bag of shopping. To that I have a crocodile clip style cigar socket (available from most car shops, halfords etc) and then a car charger for the laptop and bingo, jobs a good un. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/221261433968?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

I usually let the laptop die down first ( about 2.5 hours in my case) before I start draining the back up. Not sure if this is the right way to do it but it is how I do it. 

The whole lot cost me less than £50.

Nearly forgot this link http://www.amazon.co.uk/Accessory-Socket-Battery-Clamps-Crocodile/dp/B003SQ6U6Q

Oh and I also have these and they sometimes come in useful when I need to use my dew strap on wet nights. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/181515306825?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Steve

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Bomberbaz

Thanks for the info and suggestions. Those batteries weigh in at 6kg :o by the looks of it, lol. I think that would be too heavy for little me, especially on top of everything else I'll need to carry up and down stairs and get to the nearest site...

I have a lightweight 12V LiPo ("9800mAh") which can power the AVX for at least 3hrs. I think I might get one or two more and wire them all in parallel. I reckon they will power everything ok. Maybe put them in a box with switches and bits :)

I've yet to test the Lenovo Z50-70 laptop battery life out - plan to do that this weekend.

Cheers

Louise

Hi Bomberbaz

Thanks for the info and suggestions. Those batteries weigh in at 6kg :o by the looks of it, lol. I think that would be too heavy for little me, 

First Louise please its Steve. Next, can you carry a bag with 3 x 4 pints of milk? If the answer is yes, you can handle it. I bought a battery bag http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/181515306825?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0 which makes it a lot easier to carry. Have a look over the links I posted and think about it before you say its not for you. 

Steve

First Louise please its Steve. Next, can you carry a bag with 3 x 4 pints of milk? If the answer is yes, you can handle it. I bought a battery bag http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/181515306825?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0 which makes it a lot easier to carry. Have a look over the links I posted and think about it before you say its not for you. 

Steve

Hi Steve

Oh, yes, of course I could carry it! It's just that I have to get everything down two flights of stairs and then manually transport it to an imaging site. To do that I'll have to get mount, tripot, scope etc into a trolley of some sort (I have one in mind but not got it yet). Then I'll have to get everything back and up the stairs... So I need to try and keep everything as light and compact as possible.

Louise

Ok Louise I hear what you say but the cornerstone, anchor or however you may phrase it of wat you want to do is having a reliable power supply. I got rid of my old 15AH battery because I wanted to know my goto wouldnt flag due to reduced power, at 22AH this would give you a lot of extra power without being too much of a burden. 

Ok Louise I hear what you say but the cornerstone, anchor or however you may phrase it of wat you want to do is having a reliable power supply. I got rid of my old 15AH battery because I wanted to know my goto wouldnt flag due to reduced power, at 22AH this would give you a lot of extra power without being too much of a burden. 

Hi again

I suppose, ideally, I'd get a Tracer, but I refuse to spend £200 on a battery! Thinking about it, I misread your previous post - thought it said 3 x 1 pint. 3 x 4 pints actually probably would require some effort... I'm a wee old lady... I'm already looking at struggling just getting the mount (AVX) down and back up the stairs. I'll be setting up all my kit with battery power once I'm ready and I'll give it a thorough test before I attempt to go outside with it all. If I can reliably get 2 hours of imaging done I'll be happy :)

Louise

Archived