NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hanwell Dialyte 30" Refractor (cyber revisit)

Macavity

Ah. Still have this LARGE single (flint glass?) biconvex 6" (only) lens that "micaculously appeared" on my Dad's back lawn, one night during World War Two! Once I dreamed of it's use in such a thing as this. But 6" achromats are (almost) "ten a penny" these days. Large lenses still have a kinda fascination tho'... :wink:

I know what you mean about large lenses. My chick's friend turned up a few weeks ago along with her hubby. He plonked a 9" condenser lens on the table and said "any good to you? I was going to put it in the skip." So now I have to think of something to do with it. It appears to be a matched pair of plano convex lenses mounted flat side out in a brass tube.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kaptain Klevtsov

I wonder if they have issues with lens "sag" with this one and if so how they have over come that ?. I think it's sagging that keeps the maximum practical size of refractors to 40 inches (the Yerkes refractor).

John

Archived