Anybody else use RKE Eyepieces?

orion61

Good quality ones are not that common over here, they do tend to appear occasionally. The better ones were (are?) made by Edmund Optics and I suspect that the Edmund Optics here may have been a group that was bought up and so joined the EO banner. Hence the reason they are possibly not that common.

They are quoted as 45 degrees but have reasonable eye relief. They would be a Reverse Kellner design.

Seem to be available in 8mm, 12mm, 15mm, 21mm and 28mm, see Anchor Optics and others.

The one above says they started as telescope eyepieces, others say they started as microscope eyepieces - makes me wonder if the are therefore the same eyepiece or if a design change has been done at some time.

Just read a comparison on CN. CNComparison

As I have TV plossl's I will stick with them. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Hi There,

I have just the one, the RKE 15MM, purchased on a whim from AB&S.

It is not as bright as my Televue 15mm, but appears to be just as sharp, and cetainly the warmer tones that it affords

are often pleasing. It will remain in my case along with the TV's and Ortho's :smiley:

I have and regularly use a 16.8mm RKE. The one on the right..........

post-381-0-16104500-1416298995_thumb.jpg

I haven't taken it apart to confirm. It was originally thought to have been an ortho, but is now widely thought to be an RKE design. It's a lovely crisp, easy to use eyepiece.

I had the 28mm Edmunds RKE, which was a good one, but of older vintage. Perhaps 80/90's? Wish I had that one back.

post-381-0-89601200-1416299025_thumb.jpg

Wouldn't say nay, to a set of 'em.

:D

Andy.

If you take your 28 RKE and back your eye away on Jupiter and Globular clusters, de-focus a tad bit, the object seems to float

in front of you. Quite an interesting effect! I use a set of 15 RKE's for my Bino viewers They are perfect.

Thank you Saganite for the mini editorial! the Tele-Vues must be pretty spectacular as I found the RKE to be brighter than most eyepieces.

and Sharper than most in the center of field. The draw back of them is a bit softer at the very edge of field. and the 12mm and 8mm eye relief

isn't the best. They are still miles ahead of any other Kellners I've observed with.

The vintage RKE are better than the newer ones. The field stops in the new ones are horrible! Jagged, dents etc. That didn't stop them

from raising the price up to $90.00 US Dollar each tho.

I love this site and chatting with my UK Brothers...

The vintage RKE are better than the newer ones. The field stops in the new ones are horrible! Jagged, dents etc.

I can there're different opions on CN about vintage RKE and the newer ones. The field stop is in mine is very clear and sharp. Shouldn't a customer be able to return an eyepiece if the quality is that bad as you mentioned?

I can there're different opions on CN about vintage RKE and the newer ones. The field stop is in mine is very clear and sharp. Shouldn't a customer be able to return an eyepiece if the quality is that bad as you mentioned?

Yes I am sure they could but the ones I have bought were all used, they were worse in the 8mm and 12,

My set ranges in age. When it was possible I kept the older of duplicates.

Things have changed so much since the 70's The field of views on the eyepieces I grew up with had tiny "port hole"

35degree views. Now everybody has to have 100 degree. personally I think it is a waste when one has to look around the field to see the stop.

Anything 50 degrees and up is fine with me... Plus over $600.00 for a single eyepiece?? come on.. I'll take the 95%+ of function for 10% of the price any day.

Good day to you all!

Archived