Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First question, Supatrak PC control

Hi All,

After the welcome a question, as I said I have just bought a secondhand Sky-watcher 127 Maksutov, on a supatrac mount, my error was thinking this was a goto...OOOps,but reading the web seems to imply that by connecting this mount to a PC in can be made to perform the goto functions.

so far I have downloaded Stellarium and was looking at the required leads, that where I started to get confused, in 2010 the Hacksupatrak site shows a driver board to give the correct TTL(5v) signal to the mount and says what's required are RJ12 plugs to match the mount, then, since it seems technology may have moved on with version 3 of the handset giving direct PC control, and so I assume giving out the correct driver levels.

But at £100 this seems a bit pricey, especially if it can be done without.

now for the burning question.

Has anybody seen or had working a supatrak mount controlled by PC/Laptop if you have,  can you advise on how its done, do you still need the driver board, or is that done using the EQMOD,

I like previous posters am having difficulty in understanding how you can plug in a version 3 synscan handset, and it will apparently work, but the plug as supplied to fit in and control the synscan mount directly will not fit,, if the plug work on one why not the other?

as said I am a novice and must be missing something here, its just a plug is a physical thing, it either fits its socket or it doesn't, are the lead as sold supplied with a different plug, say RJ11 instead of the RJ12 and of so why would the direct leads work in a synscan mount which accepts a version 3 handset, yet not on a supatrak which apparently will also accept the very same controller.

any enlightenment would be great ashaving scanned the interweb for any second hand handsets, both of the popular trading sites have nothing under £100, but do have leads for under a tenner.

The v3 handset will work with the supatrak but you will also need the correct cable to connect the handset to the mount. These can be purchased from astro retailers or sometimes on astroboot (there's a v3 handset and as cable on astroboot right now). You can also connect the mount to a laptop through Bluetooth using an ad a peter like this one http://www.365astronomy.com/bluetooth-interface-for-skywatcher-autotracking-merlin-p-2390.html . The telescope can then be controlled through a planetarium program such as Stellarium or Carte due Ceil.

The v3 handset will work with the supatrak but you will also need the correct cable to connect the handset to the mount. These can be purchased from astro retailers or sometimes on astroboot (there's a v3 handset and as cable on astroboot right now). You can also connect the mount to a laptop through Bluetooth using an ad a peter like this one http://www.365astronomy.com/bluetooth-interface-for-skywatcher-autotracking-merlin-p-2390.html . The telescope can then be controlled through a planetarium program such as Stellarium or Carte due Ceil.

thanks Peter,

I didn't know about Astroboot, but thanks for the pointer, I have just bought the version 3 synscan handset, but I have also ordered an USB to 5 volt TTL serial cable which I will terminate in the required RJ12 plug (re RSW) if I can get this interfaced with the mount, then I will look at the blue tooth option, I have had this mad idea about fitting the scope in a perspex bubble on top of my shed, the extra height will aid the view, but I would need the system to be fully remote, HD web cam, motor focus, ect, but it could run from a Laptop in the shed, along with anti condensation heaters ect. , but one step at a time.

can Stellarium drive the mount or will it need the Ascom driver or some other driver?

Gordon

Stellarium has it's own Skywatcher AZ_GOTO mount drivers. Connect the handset to the computer using the serial data cable used for updating the firmware on the handset , you might also need a serial / usb adapter (make sure that you also update the firmware in the handset to the latest revision)  and connect the mount to the handset using the appropriate cable. If you go another route ( bluetooth or FTDI cable ) you will need an ASCOM driver.

A perspex dome would probably be a bad idea. Apart from condensation you will also get distortion through the perspex.

Stellarium has it's own Skywatcher AZ_GOTO mount drivers. Connect the handset to the computer using the serial data cable used for updating the firmware on the handset , you might also need a serial / usb adapter (make sure that you also update the firmware in the handset to the latest revision)  and connect the mount to the handset using the appropriate cable. If you go another route ( bluetooth or FTDI cable ) you will need an ASCOM driver.

A perspex dome would probably be a bad idea. Apart from condensation you will also get distortion through the perspex.

cool. the perspex thing, would have that as a flaw,  good news  about the stellarium drivers, I have ordered a couple USB to serial leads, so now I will just have to wait and see when the handset arrives what leads are needed to hook it all together,

thanks peter

Gordon

Archived