Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another Baader film question ...

kev100

Hiya,

When I had my old 5 inch newt, I'd made a solar filter using Baader film, and really enjoyed observing the sun. I've since sold the 5 inch, and bought a 10 inch dob. As the filter I'd made didnt fit the new scope, i repurposed it into 2 fittings for my 20x80 bins. These work okay, but I was wondering if I could repurpose again, and make a small filter for the hole in the scope dust cap. Would this work ok, or would it stop the scope down too much?

Anyone done this?

Cheers,

Kev

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That would work perfectly well.  You would have a small aparture, long focal length, reflector.  Just make sure you "miss" the secondary supports when you put the filter on and that it can't blow off in the wind!!  Is your Dob a solid tube?  If so then OK but if you have a sleleton tube you will have to be very careful not to reflect the Sun "off axis" into your eyes (or onto the scope itself) when it could cause damage.  The cure here would be to use some sort of scope coat to cover the whole "tube" - maybe plastic sheeting??

Well, just gave it a go (held the solar filter over the hole in the dust cap) ... To be honest, the view wasn't that great. Actually better with the bins ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived