Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Slew speeding on EQ6

orions-knight

I have just bought an old style EQ6 Black model and am aware of it being non goto. However, I have realised that slewing speeds of 2X, 8X and 16X sidereal rate are so slow for slewing. I am not prepared to purchase the upgrade kit as cant afford it, but am wondering if there is any other means of increasing the speeds similar to new eq models like 800X on a diy basis ?

Any comments and helpful advise will be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Mal B.

I believe they are fixed. There is a preprogrammed chip in the box and this sets the options.

I think the options are the new box, or build another, the problem with building another is that you still need a chip and it still needs programming, and it would likely cost as much or more. If you wanted to build another there is a circuit and code available.

It would seem to be the type of thing that a Raspberry Pi is appropriate for but again that means building a new controller and programming the Pi.

I don't think that you can attach a PC/Laptop/Notebook and run it from that with some self written code, although that option may exist.

Many thanks Ronin. For what I paid for the mount and the cost of an upgrade kit, I am almost in the realms of a second hand eq6 pro. Plus the mount is now a few years old and might not warrant an upgrade. I think its ridiculous that the slew speeds are so slow. Think I might play around with a direct motor hack of some sort and see where that takes me. :smiley:

Many thanks

Archived