NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IR Blocker or UV-IR Blocker for webcam ?

Vox45

I am looking at Astronomik filter and I came across 2 types of IR filter.

One is a IR Blocker the other is a L filter that blocks spectrum in the UV and IR.

I am using an old Toucam CCS color webcam and was wondering which would be more appropriate ? Isn't luminance only for black and white camera ?

In the description it says "As an alternative instead of the IR-Blocker if your camera has a high sensitivity at short wavelengths" not sure if it is the case for a webcam ?

I intend to use this filter for bright objects (moon, sun, planets)

For the small difference in price I'll get the UV-IR one ;)

My heart was set on a Baader at FLO. Not sure how the Astronomik compares to the Baader, and not sure I would see the difference on a cheap webcam ;)

Hi,

Yes go,for,the IR/UV I use the AStronomik one, it works a treat, although I am a bit rusty, as I have been out of this hobby for a while, just finding the time to get back into it, so,things may have changed

Regards

SS

Hello,

thanks for your recommendation !

I bought the Astronomik one and I am waiting for the delivery ;) I'll post some pics with and without the filter eventually ... If the clouds would just go away !

Mono sensors use clear windows because such cameras are often used to photograph in IR or UV spectrum, and not only in visual light. Also RGB filters block IR/UV on their own. And "those" CMOS sensors (like in the ASI120) are quite sensitive to IR.

Mono sensors use clear windows because such cameras are often used to photograph in IR or UV spectrum, and not only in visual light. Also RGB filters block IR/UV on their own. And "those" CMOS sensors (like in the ASI120) are quite sensitive to IR.

Thanks for the clear explanation riklaunim !

Archived