NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Binoviewing - I think I finally get it!

Stu

Well, this is my third pair of binoviewers. I had a William optics pair, followed by a pair of Baader Maxbrights, both sold on after fairly miserable experiences with them. The collimation always seemed to be tricky, too much adjustment required and achieving focus was always a pain, I found.

I recently found myself following one of those crazy paths and ending up at an unintended result, but actually one I'm pleased with after tonight's experience.

It goes like this.......I was looking for a 32mm and 25mm Plossl to use with my Quark, and found a set going for a reasonable price on Fleabay. The set included a 20, 15 and 11mm, which I already have. You can perhaps see where this is going. I intended to sell the spares on straight away, but came across a set of Denkmeier Binoviewers on ABS and thought I would try one more time with a premium brand.

These units have 26mm clear aperture and a 'power switch' for easy changing of magnification, can't quite recall what factor it gives, will check next time. They also came with a x2 Denk Barlow to help achieve focus if needed.

Tonight was clear, but looking a bit murky so I thought I would just have a play around with them. Immediately I found them much easier to get on with that previous pairs. The collimation was just right, no messing around adjusting eyepiece positions. I was using my 120ED, and did need the x2 Barlow to gain enough in-focus. I was using a Zeiss T2 prism which does have a very short optical path which must help, and was then able to use the power switch to flick between mags.

I played around with the 20, 15 and 11mm, and found that they all produced a good image, well collimated.

With poor conditions there was not so much to look at, so I had a go at the DC and some familiar doubles just to get the hang of them. I don't suppose BV's are ideal for doubles, but I got on rather well.

The DC just about fitted in the fov, I need some 25mm ep's I think, or perhaps another 24mm Panoptic. Stars looked very sharp and the whole 'two eyes' bit seemed nice and relaxed.

NGC457 was great, as always

The Double Double, and the Double Double's Double both looked clean and sharp, lovely separation in the DD.

Pi Aquilae split well too using the 11mms, plus power switch. I need to understand how to calculate magnification, as I think the Barlow effect varies with distance from the eyepieces. Must check this.

So, finally I get it. I just needed BV's which were well collimated out of the box and optically sharp. I think they will be great in the Vixen so am looking forward to first light in that.

I am hoping that for lunar and planetary they will be ideal, plus also potentially with the Quark though possibly another 32mm may help this.

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once you get it, you never forget it! I have the WO binos and have never had an issue with them. I find that the focus needs to be right for each eye otherwise the images don't merge. Small eyepieces help as well so that things don't get too crowded.

Thanks Mark. I need to get a bit more organized with them so it does not feel too much of a faff, but practice will help.

I'm looking forward to lunar and solar views, plus I'm hoping that they will help alleviate the annoying floater I have slap bang in the centre of my observing eye. It really affect planetary viewing so I've always thought that bino viewing is the answer. Might also try to get another 32mm Plossl to give me lower power views.

Bino's are great. I recently reshuffled my setup to go exclusively bino. I always struggled with mono, trying to keep one eye shut.

Binoviewing is in comparison so relaxed if nothing else. It also reveals for me far more detail than an expensive planetary ep in mono mode.

Bino's are great. I recently reshuffled my setup to go exclusively bino. I always struggled with mono, trying to keep one eye shut.

Binoviewing is in comparison so relaxed if nothing else. It also reveals for me far more detail than an expensive planetary ep in mono mode.

Which binos do you use Andre?

Also, please stop putting lovely kit up for sale, it is very tempting but I don't need any more refractors!!!!! ;-) :-)

hi Stu,

try your Denks on Atlux and let me know what you think :D not telling you much at the moment as i have done it and i know what it is.

As for eye pieces,get Maxvisions 24mm 68deg.They are 66 quid new and 3 to 4 times cheaper then 24mm pans(unless you wanna stick to TV brand),you will have to put them on a "diet" and remove the outer housing,but it is very easy and takes 2 mins to do so.If not sure how,i can post it up here.I was so impressed with them that i ordered a pair of 16mm maxvisions too(49.90 a piece is a steal lol),despite having a pair of 20mm RG and 10.5mm for planetary.

Will do! Just waiting for the 'planets to align', by which I mean a clear night when I'm free and not exhausted!! Baby not sleeping well currently :-(

Archived