NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Threads, tubes, rings, adapters, converters... HELP!

Hi,

I'm a beginner in astronomy and especially telescopes.

I understand the basic components such as 1.25", 2", barlows, focal reducers, filters, etc. But the combinations of thread sizes and adapters is really confusing. It´s a jungle.

But really, how hard can it be? So I started looking for a webpage  explaining all this stuff. Got no luck. 

The best page I found so far is an italian telescope shop (I´m swedish) that was a bit too "messy" for me.

http://www.unitronitalia.com/prodotti.asp?cod=BP&type=060

When I'm buying telescope accessories on the internet I want to understand what fitting I´m getting and how to assemble it with my other components.

Is there a god made page out there or one in this forum that explains these components and combinations once and for all?

Many thanks!

Hi, welcome to the forum.

From your link I understand you are mostly interested in connecting a camera to a telescope.

There are different ways of doing that: with and without a lens on the camera, and with or without an eyepiece on the telescope.

One way is to connect the camera directly to the telescope, with the sensor in the focal plane of the telescope's optics. No eyepiece, no camera lens. For this you only need a T-ring (that fits your camera) and a T-adapter (that fits your telescope). 

What are your plans, and which camera and telescope will you be using?

Hi and welcome

If you need to buy anything and he sells it then I can recommend Bernard from Modern Astronomy

Linky

What this guy doesn't know about adapters etc is probably not worth knowing. He sells all sorts of adapters etc and will answer your queries by e-mail in a very short time. He has the patience of a saint. I know, by the amount of questions I post to him before buying anything.

And he will post internationally too.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Martin

I realize now that the link I posted is about how to attach a camera to the scope.

But I'm not into astrophotography, yet.

I want to know;
1. If there are any incompatible threadings. Is there a standard or non-standard.

2. When the number of, or rather length of all combined components is too much. (Visual field, light, etc.)

3. About short and long threadings that seems to exist and how to fix/prevent it.

4. Dos and don'ts regarding the order of component placement. 

Thanks

GotGazer

Archived