Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC6820 and open cluster NGC6823, Reprocessed Data

lensman57

That's cool AG - there's an amazing string of stars running L-R near the bottom of that image  :)  I know the feeling having to resort to processing old (and often incomplete) data sets on wet and cloudy nights. You remind me that I also have some Ha on ngc6820 tucked away :)

ChrisH

That's cool AG - there's an amazing string of stars running L-R near the bottom of that image  :)  I know the feeling having to resort to processing old (and often incomplete) data sets on wet and cloudy nights. You remind me that I also have some Ha on ngc6820 tucked away :)

ChrisH

Thanks Chris,

I just had to do something and this data was particularly poor so it was worth a crack.

A.G

This is a tough object! You've done well with it too. I searched this image a while back and there are not a lot of images and even fewer that are done really well.

JB

Thanks JB, you are right this one does really need very long subs and integration time, the true widefield of the area is amazing either in HaRGB or NB, alas not this onewhich is osc.

A.G

Well you made me go dig it out AG... :)  There isn't much data and yes, it does need long subs because it's faint. I have not been able to process it yet because my house PC is 32-bit and just crashes with StarTools. So I just stretched it a bit in Photoshop - no noise reduction or anything...

ngc6820Ha_zpsf1b57d20.jpg

ChrisH

Well you made me go dig it out AG... :)  There isn't much data and yes, it does need long subs because it's faint. I have not been able to process it yet because my house PC is 32-bit and just crashes with StarTools. So I just stretched it a bit in Photoshop - no noise reduction or anything...

ngc6820Ha_zpsf1b57d20.jpg

ChrisH

Good bit of data there Chris, it is really worth having a proper go at this.

A.G

I remember why I left it now too, see that bright star? No - I didn't leave a Bhatinov mask on :)  I later discovered a small sliver of dry paint on the focal reducer and that caused the 'diffraction spikes' .  I very nearly returned the reducer thinking it was faulty! You don't normally get big diffraction spikes on a refractor... lol

ChrisH

I remember why I left it now too, see that bright star? No - I didn't leave a Bhatinov mask on :)  I later discovered a small sliver of dry paint on the focal reducer and that caused the 'diffraction spikes' .  I very nearly returned the reducer thinking it was faulty! You don't normally get big diffraction spikes on a refractor... lol

ChrisH

You could try and correct it in  StarTools, it does have a pretty nice star shaping tool. A bit unethical but so what? I just reprocessed an OSC of NGC 7380 from 27th of sept, thanks JB, I think this one was 7X900s with my 80mm Ascension and Atik 428. I just drop here as I don't want to open another thread. Next week is more or less the same story with the weather. I am sure that this year it has been a lot more and rain so far.

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-96746300-1413594591_thumb.p

Archived