Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ffordes Photographic

RichM63

I firmly believe that it is how a provider reacts to a problem that gives a true measure of their commitment to customer service.

Very recently I had finally saved enough to purchase a longer zoom lens for my new 700D. I checked on here in signatures etc and realized that I would be looking in the 75-300mm or 70-300mm range.

Looking online, I quickly became confused by all the various offerings from Canon, Sigma, Tamron etc with prices from what I could manage to eye watering 'pro' gear and further the large second hand market.

My BIL had recommended Ffordes Photographic and so searching their comprehensive website I narrowed my search to either Canon or Sigma, used, as this was all I could afford.

I gave Ffordes a ring and explained to a helpful Ross, what I was looking for, and would my choices work with the 700D. He explained quite a few technical things and in no way made me feel like a second class numpty.

And so I made my online purchase. 7-10 day delivery schedule from Inverness to Brittany.

However; 2 days later my boxed S/H Sigma 70-300 arrived. :) In pristine condition.

Sadly, when I attached it to the camera, no matter what, all I got was 'Lens not recognized, clean sensors', looking at the sensors they didn't need cleaning, and were shiny gold with no scuffs.

I called Ffordes, explained the situation to a 'Steve'. He took the lens details and instantly informed me that for one reason or another I had obtained an incompatible lens for the 700D, but if I returned it, they would ship me one that would work, he also explained that in fact for en extra £30 they had a brand new version of this lens in stock, should I wish to up my order a little.

I said I'd think about it, as I was already paying an extra €35 in return postage and thus an extra £60 on top, would push me over the limit of what I could afford.

We left it at that, with the confirmation that we would be in touch once Ffordes had received the returned lens.

Roll on 10 days from my return postage, and the postman zooms into the courtyard, jumps out of his van, brandishing a small box, and demanding a signature.

Hmmm thinks I.

Opening the box, revealed a BRAND NEW 70-300mm DG Macro, still sealed in plastic bags, lens hood and both caps, but no paperwork or invoice except for 3year warranty cards. I was surprised to say the least.

Naturally I hooked it up to the camera and YES it works.

I dropped Steve an email about the NEW lens and lack of invoice demanding a payment from me.

And promptly received a reply from another Steve, stating "Many thanks for letting us know that the lens has arrived safely and i will pass your thanks onto those concerned".

So a Brand New lens, for the price of a second hand one, at no time did Ffordes lay the blame on me for being a numpty and ordering the wrong lens, they simply wanted me to be happy with my purchase and have something that would work with my camera.

GREAT customer service, thanks to all at Ffordes Photographic, and yes, I am already eyeing a 50mm + some other goodies.

All the best,

Richard

Archived