NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

....I knew this would happen.....I messed up....again.

When I bought my Celestron C11 I went through the dilemma of buying either a colour CCD camera or a mono. As I have the Hyperstar I went for the colour 490 EX OSC as it seemed to be the right choice for that focal length according to the research i did.  If I want colour at normal focal lengths then I'm forced to use 1x1 binning which lowers the sensitivity markedly.  If I had done more reading then I would have gone for the 460 EX mono with filters or the 49 0EX mono. Images on the 490 EX with 2x2 binning are a massive improvement over 1x1 but alas that has killed the Bayer & I suspect that if I used filters on the 2x2 I might not get the expected results.

So I'm going to once again push the button for an Atik 460 EX mono & put my mistake down to expensive experience. I will also order the Atik EFW2 filter holder & a full set of filters including narrow band (not the really expensive 3 nm ones which are silly money). I will then once again go through the pain about learning to use filters and all the post processing fun that i will have- this is going to build a "block" of flats i'm sure :laugh:

PS I might try the 490 EX OSC at 2x2 binning with filters to see what I get as it will be interesting to compare the results with a true mono camera. The good thing from this experience is that I will have all camera options covered as I've got a DSLR but i'm  going with that one yet.

I wouldn't spend a penny before doing more homework. You want to put an Atik EFW2 in the light path of a Hyperstar? Have you seen how big they are?

It doesn't matter what filters you put in front of an OSC. The Bayer Matrix will decide how much of the fitlered light gets to each pixel.

Olly

When I bought my Celestron C11 I went through the dilemma of buying either a colour CCD camera or a mono. As I have the Hyperstar I went for the colour 490 EX OSC as it seemed to be the right choice for that focal length according to the research i did.  If I want colour at normal focal lengths then I'm forced to use 1x1 binning which lowers the sensitivity markedly.  If I had done more reading then I would have gone for the 460 EX mono with filters or the 49 0EX mono. Images on the 490 EX with 2x2 binning are a massive improvement over 1x1 but alas that has killed the Bayer & I suspect that if I used filters on the 2x2 I might not get the expected results.

So I'm going to once again push the button for an Atik 460 EX mono & put my mistake down to expensive experience. I will also order the Atik EFW2 filter holder & a full set of filters including narrow band (not the really expensive 3 nm ones which are silly money). I will then once again go through the pain about learning to use filters and all the post processing fun that i will have- this is going to build a "block" of flats i'm sure :laugh:

PS I might try the 490 EX OSC at 2x2 binning with filters to see what I get as it will be interesting to compare the results with a true mono camera. The good thing from this experience is that I will have all camera options covered as I've got a DSLR but i'm  going with that one yet.

How could there be a sensitivity issue with a HyperStar @ F2 and a 490 OSC? I  think that with 120s subs and a lot of them you should be able to image even some of the faintest DSOs. The only way you can use a Mono 460 or 490 with a HyperStar is by using a filter drawer which is a manual operation and not an automated filter wheel which weights over a Kilo without the filters and about 6" in diameter.

A.G

I wouldn't spend a penny before doing more homework. You want to put an Atik EFW2 in the light path of a Hyperstar? Have you seen how big they are?

It doesn't matter what filters you put in front of an OSC. The Bayer Matrix will decide how much of the fitlered light gets to each pixel.

Olly

Some points to discuss. The EFW2 will never be a companion to the Hyperstar- that would be stupid. I never said that this would accompany any of the cameras when connected to the corrector plate. The Atik cameras were chosen for the Hyperstar as there diameter is less than the secondary obstruction so no loss there- so its only the Hyperstar itself which increases the obstruction. The Hyperstar also has the ability to carry its own filter holder so that will be the MANUAL filter route for this.

As for the Bayer matrix it will still be interesting to test with filters to see what I get and having the choice of both cameras shortly will allow me to manage my workflow. I got most of the decisions right with regard to expenditure- there are very few mounts better than the Paramount in its price range & the telescope gives me many options for imaging  but I agree that I could have made a better decision with initial camera choice.

How could there be a sensitivity issue with a HyperStar @ F2 and a 490 OSC? I  think that with 120s subs and a lot of them you should be able to image even some of the faintest DSOs. The only way you can use a Mono 460 or 490 with a HyperStar is by using a filter drawer which is a manual operation and not an automated filter wheel which weights over a Kilo without the filters and about 6" in diameter.

A.G

That is an interesting observation. I have spent the last couple of months getting the mount ready for photography so I've not used the Hyperstar. What I was referring to was the camera used at F7 on the 11" edge. There is a massive difference in sensitivity between 1x1 and 2x2 binning on the OSC at this focal length. Sorry I should have been clearer in my deliberations.

I just pushed the button & bought the 460 EX Mono with a filter wheel & all the filters. That's going to cost me a lot of wife dollars!

Enjoy your new toy, look forward to seeing the images captured with the famous 460.

Regards,

A.G

I collected my new toys today. I am now the proud owner of an Atik 460 EX Mono, Atik EFW2 filter wheel, Dichroic RGB filter set, Narrow band 7nm filter set, F2 Narrow band filter set for the Hyperstar (has a special filter holder as you can't put an EFW2 on the corrector plate!)

Thanks to the gang at FLO for putting all this together for me-they made my very welcome when I collected in person from them today.

I'm really looking forward to cutting through the light pollution which plagues my viewing.

Archived