Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Putting on a 10-13kg OTA on an Vixen SXP (max cap 16kg)?

AnakChan

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded my 18 yr old GP-DX to a Vixen SXP. I'm also looking at moving away from my just as old VC200L. Yesterday in a shop I was asking about the Takahashi µ-250CRS and the shop keeper was concerned about putting a 12.5kg OTA on the Vixen SXP (rated max load of 16kg). In the past I was also considering other alternatives such has the EdgeHD 11" and Vixen VMC260L - both of which are in similar range.

Even with "essentials" such as diagonal/eyepieces (i.e. no guide scope nor camera) I in tend to keep it under the 16kg total is there any reason to be of concern? What sort of weight buffer is usually needed? Would I be fine in putting on something like the 12.5kg µ-250CRS on a mount rated with a max load of 16kg?

Cheers

My past experience of vixen is they are very conservative on weight limits, you are not exceeding them and for visual I can't see an issue, for astro photos it may be a bit high but I don't have much experience of the sxp so would'nt like make judgement.

Thank you very much for your response Lee. Good, that gives me a little bit more confidence. I may keep my VC200L for AP if the coatings aren't too worn off so the other heavier OTA, whichever I finally decide on, would most likely be for visual only.

Archived