NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sun looking good 26/9

Floater

Lots of interesting stuff today - lovely proms on eastern limb, especially. Spots and large filaments 'fill out the picture' (which I'm sure you clever imagers will catch for us purely visual observers).

Beautiful clear morning here, which just about makes up for being clouded out last night YET AGAIN!

I'm only using Baader filter, so no proms for me but the spots and granularity are indeed very nice!

I'm new at this (observed the Sun maybe 5-6 times), so is this level of spot-patterning usual? I ask because I remember reading a post that seemed to imply the Sun could have long periods without many or any spots visible...

Steve

Hi, Steve, I'm new, too, so can't /won't comment.

In my couple of months viewing, the spots, the proms, the filaments, the plage - well, all the joys - have varied a lot. And that's what makes it all so dynamic and, dare I say, addictive!

I've had many nights of no viewing at all and many days, too. But the Ha views, however brief, are mostly what I bore my pals about. I even have neighbours come round when they see that it's a bright day and ask if I have 'my machine' out!

I just need that 'fix' ...

Archived