Synscan I assume ??

Actually Tsih

The name is Chinese apparently (v odd )

It is the centre star of the 5 that form the W that we usually point to as Cassiopeia

Oct....27Gam....Ca...Cas V*...2.47 00h 56m +60d 43m - Tsih

Seems a bit odd to use that one as an alignment star, not big and "hidden" in the general constellation and Milky Way, Caph would seem to be a better option - last one of Cass, brighter and more "alone".

This in not intrinsic knowledge by me, I have the pdf of the Synscan finder stars which makes looking up what they use easy. Open file scroll down to "T" and I read what is listed. Called cheating.

Hmm...I really wish they'd used a better nomenclature.

Even if you don't know , for example, Delta Her personally you at least have some idea of direction and whethere it's available from your observing site due to obstructions (tree's, houses or orbiting alien motherships).

Pah! SynScan Shminscan..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Tsih seems an odd one to have in the alignment stars at all, it is in the middle of Cass and not overly bright. As said Caph would make more sense. If Tsih is visible then Caph would be.

Also no idea why they chose the name Tsih in the list, it is more commonly referrd to as Gamma Cas. suspect someone happened to find the name and so threw it in. Mind you looking at the list they have managed to name, or find nakes for, a lot of stars that usually have no common name, they also have the constellations diagrams at the top with all the names. So you can look up Tsih, see it says Cas then look at the diagram and see which one they refer to.

There are a lot of names I do not recognise and they seem to be assigned to calender months, so I would expect them to change at regular interval. Looking at Oct get used to using all 5 in Cassiopeia. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Here is a coincidence,

Yesterday I was reading about a confusion in one of the Celestron data base between Segin ( epsilon ?) Cass and Navi ( nickname ? for gamma ?)  Cass

So, if Tsih is an alias of gamma then you might want to check out its RA/Dec coordinates in your Synscan data base before you use it as an alignment !

Just a heads-up in case :)

I'll come back when I have re-found what I was reading ( I expect it was on the Cloudynights forum)

EDIT Here you go

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/476641-goto-database-error/

so Cass may be a challenging area in several Chinese data files ?!

The chart with the list give Navi as the first/leftmost star of the "W".

Now I have no idea if that is really it's name or what.

About 98% of the world gives a Bayer Designation (is it Bayer ??)

It gives from L->R:

Navi, Rukbah, Tsih, Schedar, Caph.

I would not have expected more then Schedar or Caph to be alignment stars, the other three just seem to miss the criteria of basically bright and isolated. That also means Schedar is slightly questionable. Actually if at a DARK site all Cassiopeia gets lost in the milky way. Meades use ones like Arcturus a lot and it is obvious as there is nothing else even close to it.

Still the question was where is it.

It's one of the 5 stars that make up the "W" of Cassiopeia, although there seems a question about which one exactly.

The chart with the list give Navi as the first/leftmost star of the "W".

Now I have no idea if that is really it's name or what.

I think that was the heart of the mystery on CN as well

I'm seeing some googlings that attribute Navi as a Gus Grissom nickname ( poor ol' Gus ) for Tsih,

dunno the truth of that I'm trying to cook a KungPo for evening meal at same time :) !

I'm with PaulM, we all know where we are with a bit of greek ;)

but they need longer displays :)

At the mo, my handset chooses Arcturus and Vega. (I only do a two-star align.)

I have Meades and they have a smaller set, and as best I can tell none from Cassiopeia.

Meade say they use only seperate ones that sit alone (?) so with Cassiopeia being in the belt of the Milky Way that is possibly why none are included. They do seem to use every one that is in the plough however. Meade does like the big red ones, Arcturus, Aldbebaran, Beteguese, Antares if they are around.

I think my main interest in the Synscan file is they name lots of stars that prior I had no idea of their names (possible or real). I only knew of the main 2 in Cassiopeia and the rest were gamma, delta, epsilon etc.

• 4 weeks later...

The requirement should be bright and alone. Which using Orion as an example should mean that Beletgeuese and Rigel qualify and Alnitak, Alnilam and Mintaka (the belt stars) would fail, they are likely too close together although bright. Having said that I expect that they could be in the list - there is no guarantee that someone who knew the stars actually did the selection. Maybe Meade had the forst list out and Skywatcher had to have a bigger one.

Oddly I was searching out the Meade alignment star list 2 nights back and some of them may be alone but they seem very dim.

Archived