Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nexstar GoTo Mount Troubleshooting

Mariner11

Hi everyone,

My Nexstar 8se goto mount's altitude slewing has slowed down to a crawl. Slew rate is set to 9, I performed a handset factory reset, b the problem persists. The scope is still under warranty, but I bought it in Canada and then moved to the Netherlands, so RMA-ing is going to be expensive. Before I start throwing money at this problem though, is there anyone who's had the same problem? Any fixes or suggestions? I'm a beginner level stargazer. Thanks!

I also did this encoder test http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=2066 and noticed that the alt numbers are running in the wrong direction. This was recommended by Celestron support, but they couldn't do much with that info. Scope is hooked up to ac and reflashing to fw 4.21 also didn't solve tje issue.

Other possibilities are the power supply being to poor (12v and about 1.5a needed) also the connector on the scope, some people very carefully open the center pin slightly for a better contact (easy to over do though)

hope you get it sorted

Hi Mariner, and a very warm welcome to the SGL mate - If I were you, you say that its still under warranty - surely if you phone Celestron and tell them of the move, they, would I think still honour the warranty and get it repaired for you - lets face it, at the time of purchase you were buying "locally" - not that you tried to save a few dollars by importing from somewhere else - I would certainly give them a call and see if you can get it repaired through your local dealers - worth a try.

Paul.

Their online support wasn't very helpful (referred me to a UK dealer for repairs), but your point is an excellent one NSm. I've reached out to a local dealer to see if they can help. They may have more clout with Celestron than I do. I'll let you know how things pan out.

Archived