NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help needed in upgrading lenses

Hi all.

I have a Celestron Astromaster 70AZ telescope. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-Astro-Master-70-Telescope/dp/B0017WR0TY/ref=sr_1_2/278-3580376-8072312?ie=UTF8&qid=1410672749&sr=8-2&keywords=celestron+astromaster+70az)

I believe it has a 20mm and 4mm lenses. I do also have a moon filter.  I also have a conon EOS 400d camera that I would like to attach it to.

Any advice on what lenses to go for next ? Do the x2 magnification lenses work well ?

The 32mm plossl will be good for low power use and a wider field of view, but throw away the 4mm as that is of no use at all and get an 8mm one instead.  By 'booster eyepiece' if you mean a Barlow lens then I would say leave this off the shopping list for now.  Bear in mind the scope is limited to a max 140x magnification.  Adding a Barlow quite often exceeds this.

If I recall the scope is 70mm dia and 900mm focal length so I doubt that a barlow will be of great use. Equally think the 4mm supplied will be no use. Just too short for the scope.

As said look at plossl eyepieces, not too costly and should work fairly well on your scope.

I would doubt that shorter then 10mm will perform too well. The problem is that to buy say 3 eyepieces costs around £60, which is a fair proportion of the scope cost.

Archived