NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A couple of observations from last night

RobertI

Had a frustrating night last night, the limits of my setup becoming apparent (C8 focus shifting every time I moved to a new object due I imagine to mirror flop, and the inability to find anything using my manual 'non-goto' setup). However I did eventually find the Iris Nebula which made it all worthwhile. The Iris Nebula is a a reflection nebula with a bright star in the middle making it a bit challenging. Two images, one with Median stacking and the other with sum stacking as a comparison (both with dirt on the sensor), not sure which is better:

post-17401-0-06294900-1410631047.png

post-17401-0-78776100-1410629853.png

Also Beta Cephei a mag 3 Blue Giant (actually a spectroscopic binary) with a visual companion, atually orbiting at 2400 AU, at 14" separation. Not the ideal subject for a mono Lodestar but I think it looks quite pretty:

post-17401-0-02174000-1410630665.png

I had the good fortune to find a used CG-5 goto with Altair Astro 6" RC scope in the classified today for good price and just down the road from me, so I snapped it up hoping it will solve some of my current equipment frustrations. Will report back.

Rob

Thanks Don, and thanks for the link, most helpful. I think the 'finish focussing by turning the focus knob counter clockwise' could be the key to helping the problem, I will try this. I'm not totally convinced the 6" RC will solve all my problems but I had been researching this scope already, and the CG5 on offer came with scope, so it seemed like fate!!

Hi Rob,

Great shot of the Iris - having tried this one myself a few weeks back it certainly proved tricky to get some of the subtle detail out.

Good luck with the new scope - I think you will enjoy using it once you have it up and running!

Paul

Archived