Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Unpredicted clear evening

miguel87

So Solihull is pretty crystal clear at the moment although the moon is starting to wash things out in the east.

Have already had a good look at the ring nebula tonight which at 170x looks beautiful and dense in my new scope. No sign of a central star but I gather this can be hard to see.

Then swung over to the double cluster in cassiopea, has been a favourite of mine since I started gazing. Again this looks fantastic tonight. I had bought a new low-power eyepiece just a week ago; I figured that with 350 extra mm of focal length my current eyepieces (all vixen NPL's) would have a greatly reduced actual field of view. Despite a noticeable difference I find myself going back to the 20mm rather than the new 30mm for a lovely wide-ish view. Maybe my actual field of view has also increased due to the new scope?? Or is actual field of vue tied directly to magnification only?? Anyway I spent a good 30 mins looking at this cluster.

I headed back in for a break and might decide to do some lunar observing if it stays clear. Any planets worth waiting up for in the early hours?

Clear Skies

Archived