Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging upgrades?

I currently own a Celestron CPC800. I love it, it's rock solid.
I bought a good wedge to try some imaging. I've taken to that too, I've caught the bug.

I was thinking seriously about upgrading from my non-modified DSLR to something more suitable. A modded DSLR, or maybe even a pre-loved CCD. But now I'm thinking I should hold off and take the longer-term view. There's light pollution where I live and reasonably-priced CCDs tend to have a narrow FoV, not ideal with an SCT. So perhaps an EQ mount with a reasonably-priced refractor might make sense. Followed later by a mono CCD for narrowband imaging.

Common advice seems to be to concentrate on the mount. So I'd probably see some benefits from something like a Skywatcher EQ6 Pro.

I don't want to lose the ability for high-powered viewing of planets etc. I can't imagine a faster telescope matching an SCT for that. So while I could sell the CPC800, and buy a SCT OTA as a second option for an EQ mount, maybe it makes more sense to hang onto the CPC800? It's hard to beat the quick setup time, portability, no median flip, eyepiece always pointing up, etc. And I might like having something to look at while imaging. Clear nights aren't that common!

Long story short - in my position, what would you do? Keep the CPC800, keep an eye on the second-hand market for a decent EQ mount, and maybe a little refractor to put on it? Or just go with a better camera for the CPC800?

I think most people would say go for an EQ mount and refractor.

But if money allows then keep the CPC.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. I think I get as much pleasure looking at planets/comets as I would from wide-field imaging. I see now why people have multiple telescopes.

Archived