Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finder-Guider!

szymon

So I now have my Finder-Guider all ready:

post-38149-0-05522200-1409853268_thumb.j

Made from a Starwatcher 200P 9x50 finder-scope joined to a slightly modified Quickcam Messenger.  Quite simple to make, I opened up the camera and removed the lens, then offered the sensor up to the finder-scope to find the right distance for focus; I had to move the sensor forward by about 2mm to get a good focal range, but was very pleased that I was able to use the original housing.  Connection to the scope is done with a small piece of plastic pipe on the inside to add some rigidity, then glue around the rim.  I did consider finding something to match the finder-scope grid so that I can swap it out if needed, but I have another finder on the Dobsonian that I can always swap in if I really need it.

Camera is picked up just fine by PHD on Windows (running in a VM), and serial connection through to Synscan handset works (although I have to use the older Celestron ASCOM driver, the newer one claims the mount doesn't do pulse guiding).  Am hoping to give it a test run...as soon as the clouds clear up, which probably means not for at least a week :-)

-simon

Looks good.

Have modded a webcam myself for some guiding (logitech HD9000).

only issue I have is that I am limited to 1/5th sec exposures by the drivers.  Cannot go longer for love or money.

Is kind of limiting to higher brightness stars as choices for guiding but can slightly compensate with maxing out a few sliders and tweaking a few others.  Can also use the digital zoom function along withe the digital pan and tilt to concentrate on suitable stars too.

Am running mine with PHD2.

Well, guiding tonight was an abject failure. PHD constantly giving star did not move errors. Need to get some sleep, will try and sort it out some other time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had this with one of my first attempts at webcam modded guiding.  Turns out I had used a hot pixel rather than an actual star, so it did not move.  Not sure if that will be the issue with yours as you have had it guiding already....

Yes, it does long exposures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds very interesting indeed.  May have a look on some popular online auction sites and see if I can find something there.

Ah, thought from your pic that you had it guiding.

Sorry, but can't add any help to the EQAscom as am using and AVX which works with very minimal input from me (think I only needed to get teh correct COM port sorted and was all fine)

Keep plugging away at it and you will get there.  Is a very satisfying feeling when it all comes together, recall that I had big beaming smile when I was guiding and saw the BYN preview of my first 3min sub appear on the screen

Ok, it works!  The trick was to do the calibration on a really bright star; once you get past that you can guide on anything you can see.

post-38149-0-92859300-1410208858_thumb.p

I did jostle the scope during that.  But this is the image, 152.3 second exposure (just over two and a half minutes!).

post-38149-0-31233700-1410214201_thumb.p

Not yet perfect, but for over two and a half minutes I'm happy :-)

-simon

Archived