Long exposure webcam HELP!!!

Andrew*

Was trying to get some M42 data tonight and I was tantalisingly close. With 1/25 sec, and gamma, gain, brightness etc. all right up, I could see loads of nebulosity on the screen.

But I couldn't capture because there was no button for long exposure on K3CCDtools!! I tried wiggling around the serial connection, and going through all the COM thingies, but could not get long exposure function to come up. I even ticked the box that said "Long exposure webcam".

Any ideas what happened?

Andrew

Mike,

My laptop has no parallel or serial ports. I use Astronomiser's adapters to connect to USB ie the original connector plugs into one USB, but the paralle is connected to a parallel to serial adapter and that to a serial to USB.

When connected, all I see under ports is "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM8)". I can change the port under Properties, but only to one in range COM1 to COM256. LPT1,2 and 3 are not options.

Mike

PS Sorry for snaffling the thread Andrew.

Thanks for your help guys. Silly me means parallel rather than serial...

It doesn't help that the laptop I'm using is my partner's and everything is in German... :insects1:

I'll try and get her to help me in the morn...

Enter the pc bios setup & check the parallel port mode.

Sorry - no idea where this is...

Andrew

Andrew have a look here http://www.scribd.com/doc/40584/ECP-and-BIOS-Information

for some info on how to enter the bios on your pc( scroll down to the paragraph on viewing and editing the BIOS).

Mike,

My laptop has no parallel or serial ports. I use Astronomiser's adapters to connect to USB ie the original connector plugs into one USB, but the paralle is connected to a parallel to serial adapter and that to a serial to USB.

When connected, all I see under ports is "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM8)". I can change the port under Properties, but only to one in range COM1 to COM256. LPT1,2 and 3 are not options.

Mike

PS Sorry for snaffling the thread Andrew.

Mike sorry can't help with parallel to serial adapters but give Andy Ellis at Astronomisera shout he will I am sure be happy to help with advice on how to get things sorted for you.

Mike.

Typical. Bleeding typical.

Just powered up laptop and camera again - voila! Long exposure feature just sitting there like it's always been there :insects1:.

Sod's law that it didn't feel like being there when I was actually needing it :D

Andrew

Indeed it is. Oh man, I am over the moon. Just been taking images of M42 and the results are just gobsmacking! On to M1 now - things going ridiculously well.

Tried horsehead but it didn't come up on the screen - couldn't find it...

:hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1:

So happy :lol: :lol: :lol::(:D

I'm hooked now. Just off to put all my eyepieces up for sale :D

Andrew

A member of the Yahoo EQMOD group posted this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943198

It is a Microsoft fix for speeding up the serial to USB driver - if you have a look at the link it explains it quite simply. I installed it on my desktop and then tried using my web cam. It does not seem to have had any negative impact and on the plus side, wonder of wonders, K3CCDTools has at long last decided to treat my SC1 modified web cam as a long exposure model.

I have no idea whether the fix fixed a problem I was having or updated something that I should have updated, but I don't care. I'll install it on my laptop and try it out in the field as soon as the weather cooperates.

If you choose to install this fix, your experience may not be so positive - don't blame me, you do it at your own risk.

Mike

PS The installation did create a restore point before installing, so in theory I can roll back

Archived